• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How long have you been into anime?

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:40 am Reply with quote
I've been watching it off and on since 1998 I believe. But I really got into it in about 2004 when more funds and....other means were available to me that wasnt before.
Wolf666'srule

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:05 am Reply with quote
I have been into anime since about 1994. I really got into it around 1997 when I found out that inuyasha was still playing.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:28 am Reply with quote
Wow, that's quite a long time for the both of you. Makes me a little embarrassed to say that I've only been seriously into anime since around August of 2006.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:36 am Reply with quote
I guess I started watching since 2003 but that a rough estimate because I watch shows that I didn't even know was anime.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:37 am Reply with quote
October of '99. Watching Slayers. I was into DBZ beforehand, but that was the precise anime/moment that offically flipped it into an anime obsession.
Kouji

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:58 am Reply with quote
I've been an anime fan since summer '97 but I didn't start seriously collecting DVDs until I got a DVD player in 2002.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
jgreen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:25 am Reply with quote
Well, I started watching anime when I was like 6 or 7 years old (1985-ish) and Robotech, Voltron, and Speed Racer were in heavy rotation on local TV. I did know it was "Japanimation" (that's what we called it back then), so I knew that they were "different" from other cartoons. I then saw Akira when I was way too young (probably 12 or 13) to really appreciate it, but I still thought it was cool as hell. Still, I don't know that I was really a "fan" yet.

Then my sophomore year of high school, 1995, I found another guy who had seen Akira, who then asked me if I watched a lot of anime. "Ani-what?" He decided to take pity on my poor soul and show me what all the fuss was about. I watched Zillion: Burning Night, Dirty Pair: Affair on Nolandia, and the ultimate fan-maker, Fist of the North Star. I mean really, what red-blooded teenaged male can watch 2 hours of people's heads exploding and NOT want to see more? Very Happy

The rest is history....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:44 am Reply with quote
I started watching anime in 1998 when I stumbled across Sailor Moon on Cartoon Network. (Tuxedo Mask caught my eye. Embarassed Wink ) And since it was a marathon, I taped it, watched it and got hooked. Then I began getting the VHS tapes that were out at the time (DiC). THEN, I saw Sailor Moon on the cover of Animerica and my eyes were opened to the wide and wonderful world of anime.

I've been addicted ever since.
free2slap

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:46 am Reply with quote
I've really started to watch anime in around 2004, when i had moved to another country and had no friends around, there i took my computer and started to surf the internet and discovered a website about torrents.
jetz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:49 am Reply with quote
OK I'll try to explain since it's a bit complicated.

The first anime I've ever watched was Voltes Five, I think I was around 3 or 4 then. That was around 1990. I didn't take it seriously then, cause I was 4 and I didn't really get it. Furthermore, I didn't know it was anime. I just thought of it as cartoons.

When I turned 6 (1992), I would watch the series they showed on local TV, and most of them were sentai (Mask Rider, Ultraman, Shaider), but there were also series that were based on literature like Princess Sarah, Heidi, Von Trapp Family, Huck Finn and I'm not sure where Remi and Cedie were based on. It was like that until I was 9 or 10 (1995). Still wasn't aware that I was into Japanese media then. Around that time I also watched Sailor Moon, Ranma 1/2 and the first arc of Yu Yu Hakusho (I only got to the part when Kurama and Hiei were introduced.) There was also Time Quest, Super Boink, Akazukin Cha Cha, and Yaiba.

Then when I reached 6th grade, I started watching anime again. This time I knew what anime was. I watched Yu Yu Hakusho, Gundam Wing, Fushigi Yuugi, Vision of Escaflowne, Master of Mosquiton, Monster Rancher, Samurai X, Tenchi Muyo, Saber Marionette J and Ranma 1/2 (there were more, of course but these were the ones I really liked). It was like this until I was a senior in high school, then I stopped when I got into college. The last one I watched was Rave Master, I believe. I stopped cause things really got busy.

I didn't watch anime until recently, in fact, just this January. So all in all, I've been watching anime for 14 years and 3 1/2 months, but was serious about anime for 6 years and 3 1/2 months. *whew*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mathious

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:51 am Reply with quote
I've been into anime since 2001and I'm only 14. Get this though I Istarted collecting anime about 3 months ago and I already have over 110 anime dvd's.
I was even able to convince my mom to like anime.
mind over matter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm a newbi anime fan Anime hyper I've only been into it for a little less than a year. About the same as JG. I think my first anime was Noir...funny for me to start with something dark when I hate dark anime
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:18 pm Reply with quote
In the Philippines, I was exposed to the likes of Voltron, Daimos, Voltes V, Tom n' Jerry, and the first episode of Robotech (but I ended up remembering it). Being a 5-year old who had no clue on a world outside the Philippines, I saw them all as cartoons.

When I moved to the states, I ended up watching whatever cartoon American TV had to offer - mainly anything from Saturday Morning (great times). In particular, I enjoyed Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and G.I.Joe.

Then around 1994, I found Macross 2 from Blockbuster. Then went after various others available there, like Devil Hunter Yohko. Suddenly, all this writing about Japanimation started popping out in magazines and books. Y'know... the great anime wave of the 90's.

jgreen wrote:
Zillion: Burning Night, Dirty Pair: Affair on Nolandia, and the ultimate fan-maker, Fist of the North Star

Man. I remember catching those on local access TV. Laughing I still laugh at the Odama Clan. Laughing
EVA fiend

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:31 pm Reply with quote
I have been a fan of anime ever since I saw the likes of Voltes V, Gaiking, Doraemon & Candy Candy dubbed into Cantonese on Hong Kong television when I first visited my grandparents way back in 1979. Moving back to the UK didn't mean the end of anime for me as the advent of the video recorder meant that my relatives in Hong Kong would record anime on TV & send the tapes over for me & my little bro. Anime smile Periodic visits back to Hong Kong to see my folks usually meant me buying a load of tapes, VCD's, & then DVDs to bring back o the UK. I do get anime lulls occasionally, but I guess my anime-viewing has been unbroken for nearly 28 years. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
Hazumu-san

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:39 pm Reply with quote
I was in grade school when I first started watching anime back in the 70's. I didn't know what it was called until the 80's. When Robotech was on I rushed home from highschool to watch it (kept wishing Rick would give up on Minmei). About 1990, I started to buy my own anime shows on Videotape and LD.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11