• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Does impatience ever get the best of you?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nomeru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:55 pm Reply with quote
potentially bad spoilers lie ahead. Read at your own risk.

I always find myself to be very impatient while watching anime (or reading manga). Quite often I cant wait until I watch something to figure out what this is or who that is. More often than that though for me is simple curiocity about what lies ahead.

Due to this, quite often I end up going to wikipedia or some place with the intention of learning a bit of whats to come. Unfortunetly, I rarely get quite what I want.

I was on episode 8 of Chrono Crusade when I read spoiler[that Chrono and Rosette die in the end.] After that I had no interest in the anime and havnt watched an episode since.

Another example I have is the fairly new Gurren Lagann. I went and read ahead and found spoiler[about Kamina's death]. That didn't ruin this for me, but it certainly would have been better to find out through the anime rather than the spoilers.

My most recent example is actually from the Air Gear manga I'm currently reading. I ended up reading about (caution, from later in the manga.) spoiler[Spitfire's death and Sora's betrayal]
I'm not going to stop reading because of this, but it really annoys me that I had to go and look ahead.

Are you ever too impatient with anime or manga? Has that impatience ever spoiled or ruined an anime for you? What stratigies, if any, do you have to combat your curiosity?[/code]
TheDrizzle

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:59 pm Reply with quote
It gets the best of me sometimes. It mostly happens when I'm reading manga, because I'm not a really fast reader (although I seem to be faster at reading manga than regular books). I want to just jump to the end of the book and see what the heck happens. I almost did that with Death Note vol. 1. I wanted to see what happens at the end of that volume, but I didn't want to ruin it for myself.
retty

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Heh, this happens to me almost always. I'm not good at waiting for things. I often go straight to the wiki mobile every time I find an anime that I'm liking. I suppose I ruin it for myself but it never really feels like that. Sometimes my impatience to get to the end of an anime and know what happens actually prevents me from watching it because I can't bear teh wait Razz So sometimes spoiling it for myself on wiki allows me to enjoy watching the anime. If that makes sense.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Impatience gets me -- but for a different reason. Things like Spoilers do not affect me at all. There just comes a point when these things relating to media (like anime) become rather predictable.

If anything, I go ahead and read up on the episode synopses in Wiki.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I try very hard not to let this happen to me but sometimes I just can't help but read spoilers. (Of course, sometimes it's not intentional either!) For me, when I do read spoilers, what I want to know is if a series will have a depressing ending generally. If there's one thing I hate, it's coming to the end of something I've really been enjoying only to have all the characters I like end up dead or miserable.

I've seen that Chrono Crusade spoiler before and it kept me from buying the series. (It looked nice but no thanks.) At the same time, other spoilers haven't bothered me as much, even though having big reveals ruined can be a pain. (Stuff in Fruits Basket for instance.)

Usually my impatience just leads me to buy things early rather than waiting for a sale.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I have, but not in the sense that I want to know exactly what happens. More in that I want to know that things don't end in a fashion that would, frankly, irritate me. Take Eureka Seven for instance. I'm watching the series as its released on DVD, so I still have not seen the final four episodes. I read the manga though and was thrown off by its ending; which I thought was pretty weak.

It wouldn't have prevented me from finishing the series since I like it so much if the ending was similar, but it would have hung a cloud over it for me. So, instead of seeking spoilers I simply asked others who had seen it through if the endings were similar and I was reassured without actually being told specifics on the ending.

Otherwise that is it. I'm generally pretty patient with stories and usually when I happen across a spoiler it is an accident rather than intentionally seeking it out. I did find out about the Chrono Crusade ending long before I finished the series as well, though that was unintentional. I still finished the series and enjoyed it in spite of that though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lonestar9

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:33 pm Reply with quote
I must be the only patient one here..Smile

I never do this on purpose, i've read some spoilers by accident when on forums, but otherwise I don't read ahead about any series i'm watching, just sometimes I read about stuff I've seen. Patience is a virtue!
Vargen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Quite often I will read about an anime(plot wise) even when I am just considering watching it. Take Darker than Black for instance; I read about the characters/plot/episode summaries on wikipedia and yet I still had a blast watching the show.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Actually when I'm watching anime I don't want to know ANYTHING until I get to it. I hate spoilers of any kind and I never read ahead (I also try to avoid searching for pictures any places where people will spoil it), so if there's something I want to know I'll see it when I get there.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I have had impatience get the best of me. There are plenty of examples for this. If I have gotten the first volume of an anime series or a manga series, and I just have to see the rest of it, I go out and buy the rest. Not very nice to my wallet, but I just have to see what happens in the end. Spoilers I was letting get the best of me as far as Fruits Basket was concerned, but now that it's over spoilers hasn't been an issue for me lately.
jetz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:28 am Reply with quote
I'm also quite patient when it comes to anime. I rarely get the urge to read spoilers (although I do get spoiled accidentally A LOT- I found out about spoiler[Kamina's death] 2 weeks before I decided to watch TTGL). It's mostly because I'm too lazy to look for stuff like that. I only read episode summaries/other information when I'm done with the series, and before watching, I read plot summaries on ANN/Wiki (While being cautious with spoilers) so I can decide if I should watch a particular series or not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hypoperoxicacidman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:47 am Reply with quote
I sometimes let impatience get the best of me, but only if there is some form of unplanned delay. I personally can enjoy the anticipation, its just as good as the actual event sometimes, however, if something is unexpectedly delayed, or requires an excessively long wait, I get impatiene. Right now acctually, I am waiting for ep21 of clannad. I really look forward to it!
Ishmoo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:54 am Reply with quote
I mostly get hit with accidental spoilers that ruin a show for me since I try to avoid "looking ahead." Chrono Crusade was totally over for me after reading a spoiler, as was Witch Hunter Robin. I might still finish that one but only after I've exhausted other shows.
Olliff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:44 am Reply with quote
Personally no. Spoilers tend to eliminate my desire to watch an anime. If you ever feel tempted to look up spoilers, you need to ask yourself if it. Looking up spoilers may satisfy your curiosity but may end your motivation to finish the rest of the series.

That being said, I have looked up spoiler for series that I have no intention of finishing. If I am really intrigued at what I see, these spoilers may even motivate me to watch the rest of the series. Personally, I would only seek out spoilers as a last resort. If you have any interest in continuing the series, be very aware of the possible consequences.

I do have a habit of reading reviews before I purchase/watch anime. However, these reviews, if done correctly, should not contain any spoilers other than what is revealed in first episode or the general plot.

Accidental spoilers can be a killer, too. They have ruined enough series for me that I longer read video comments or read wikis before I finish the series. I used to read wikis to get a general idea of a series before watching them only to uncover spoilers. I suppose this is a downside to letting anyone edit these entires; spoilers can be added.

Lastly, spoilers don't affect everyone the same way. I have a friend that reads spoilers whenever he gets bored of watching a slow paced anime . Reading these spoilers has encouraged him to keep watching. Spoilers can be used as a means of motivation to keep watching at time, but it can often have the opposite effect as well. Seeking out spoilers is generally a bad idea in my opinion, but they are not without their uses.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes spoilers encourage me to watch/read the series - for example. After reading about the fact that Akito spoiler[ is a messed up girl that for a very long time was considered to be a man ] made me interested in Fruits Basket.

Quote:
That being said, I have looked up spoiler for series that I have no intention of finishing. If I am really intrigued at what I see, these spoilers may even motivate me to watch the rest of the series.

I do exactly the same thing if I'm not interested or start loosing interest I read spoilers whether something interesting happen thanks to this I get motivation to end Full Moon o Sagashite.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2