• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment to Stop Releasing New DVDs, BDs, Manga

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsc315

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:46 pm Reply with quote
This is the second time Bandai has failed to do good in the US market again? Maybe I'm crazy but how can a company fail so hard and screw up yet again just to do it all over again years later. That is unless I'm thinking something else.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Mune wrote:
Thinking more and more about this, I am happy and upset at this news.

I'm happy because a company that I didn't buy much from is going through a restructure. Their downfall, in my opinion, was when they released subbed only releases. I was still wishing for a dubbed release of My-Otome S.ifr. I gritted my teeth and bought the subbed only release, but had hoped that it would get the dub nevertheless. Special edition individual disc releases also might have been their downfall. $50 for 3-4 episodes, with 4-8 discs, it added up to over $200 for a single series easily.

Let me make sure that I understand this.
You're happy people are out of a job because you bought a sub-only release of a 3 episode OVA. Do you realize that if it had been Viz or Funimation you wouldn't have been able to purchase that OVA in R1.

I would like to wait until the interview tomorrow but I will wager that Bandai's exit from the NA anime scene is not because of sub-only releases as there are plenty of companies who have either recovered by doing sub-only releases or maintain an acceptable profit level by only ever making sub-only releases.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:49 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
So this basically means we won't ever see season 2 of K-ON or the movie in the US. Brilliant.

Someone can still license them. I would not be surprised if a license announcement for K-ON!! in the next few months.

Well, Bandai only get K-On! by default. Another company nearly had the deal complete but ultimately walked away from it. I can't help but wonder if ludicrous contract conditions weren't part of the reason (i.e. a singles release method and overly expensive licensing costs.)

Even though the first season allegedly didn't do well in the US, I could still see someone nabbing season 2 and the movie. However, that will be highly contingent on TBS being more reasonable with negotiations this time around and that's a big if for K-On!

I don't think anyone was TOO surprised by this news. Sunrise started handing several major licenses and simulcasts to companies other than Bandai the past few seasons.

Sentai has been landing a lot of Sunrise series as of late and I think that will continue. I made some jokes about them landing Gundam and it looks like I may have been right.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I have no clue how tied to (Bandai) Japan that Bandai Entertainment was, but this just cements my thoughts more that the Japanese are going to be less reliant on foreign sales and strive for a more inward, self-sustaining market.

That's the feeling I have gotten over the past year or two for how things are heading at least. It makes sense to be honest. Maximize profit in Japan while they can, cause that's basically all that is keeping the late-night TV anime industry afloat.

Last edited by Megiddo on Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha................ hahaha............................ haha............................................ ha........................................................ ha..................................................................... Confused

So this is what becomes what started with a big splash at AX 98. *le sigh*

http://www.ex.org/3.4/13-news_briefs.html

Bandai Announces U.S. Release of GUNDAM, ESCAFLOWNE

In what was probably the biggest news at Anime Expo, Bandai announced that GUNDAM will finally be landing in the United States. Bandai Entertainment, Inc. announced the creation of AnimeVillage.com, an online site for the distribution of select anime titles in North America. Bandai will be distributing ESCAFLOWNE, SABER MARIONETTE J, CLAMP SCHOOL DETECTIVES (or as they are calling it "CLAMP SCHOOL"), and of course, selected GUNDAM titles. First up for release will be the first three GUNDAM movies as well as GUNDAM 0080 and GUNDAM 0083.
The catch is that Bandai will only be selling these titles via their web site. In an attempt to cut down on advertising and marketing costs and other overhead, they believe that this is the best way to bring the most value for the least money to the fans. The official site at www.animevillage.com opens 1 September 1998, but fans can stop by at any time and register with the site.

animenewsnetwork.com/editorial/1998-09-20

WHAT ARE YOU THINKING!?

Bandai's Anime Village program is amazing. How many companies can take so much good press, so much public anticipation, and such a promising future in the American marketplace and turn it into such a bad joke?

For those that don't know, the Anime Village program was announced formally at Anime Expo last summer, and was to be the anime web site to end all, with exclusive videos (including Vision of Escaflowne, Gundam, Saber Marionette J, and Clamp School Detectives), unbeatable deals, and a great community.

At least Bandai will just be selling license rights to 3rd parties instead.....................

Last edited by enurtsol on Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I have no clue how tied to (Bandai) Japan that Bandai Entertainment was, but this just cements my thoughts more that the Japanese are going to be less reliant on foreign sales and strive for a more inward, self-sustaining market.

It's not something the Japanese need to strive for. The domestic anime market is already entirely self-sustaining and independent of foreign purchases.

Something that is the complete opposite of your prediction is that in Gonzo's most recent news article that they are going to try to globally capitalize on some of their established licenses more.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I've officially lost my trust in Bandai. :/

Good thing that TotA will be completed, but can't be said for Kannagi, Lucky Star, Gurren Lagann, and TotA manga. And I was looking forward to Nichijou and Gosick that was supposed to come out this year.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:22 pm Reply with quote
This sucks, though it does not come as any kind of a surprise though, given that they rarely licensed anything the past couple years, started not dubbing things, and closed their store. I knew something was off but I still hoped for the best. I have lots of great anime from Bandai, it's a shame they won't be distributing anymore.

st_owly wrote:
I quite like it. "2-cour" sort of makes me think of a 2 course meal, which is kind of what a longer show is like. Or is that just my stupid imagination? Laughing

It makes me think of the beer, so I think it's kinda strange to use it for anime. Laughing
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Well there goes my favorite American company. Bad way to start off the New Year. I kinda seen it coming since they have only been releasing subbed sets the last year outside of K-On and the 00 movie.

I hope they give Sentai their Gundam and Code Geass titles I don't really care if they are subbed only now as long as I can still get them here in the US cause I don't want to pay $800 for a complete series.

Just please for the love of God Bandai don't give Gundam and Code Geass to those douchebags over at NIS America cause they screwed up Pandora Hearts and have terrible timing for their subs. I would hate to have my two favorite franchises handled by them and they're "quality" subbed sets. So Sentai or Nozomi/Rightstuf please. Also don't give it to Aniplex cause their DVD prices are ridiculous since they follow the R2 pricing structure.

So when they mean online distribution does that mean if they get any new licenses they could land on Crunchyroll and Hulu like with Sacred Seven? Cause I hate downloading anime wither its free or pay to download. I'd rather stream it.

Well I guess that means I won't be able to get Gundam 00I now and that sucks that was the only manga release outside of Code Geass: Knights and the Asch spinoff I was looking forward to.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Sad news. I supported you guys till the end, BEI. Never got mad at them for releasing singles. They are (were) trying to make profit.
Brakus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:29 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:

It's an online thing. I think "cours" was said at a convention a year or so back and all of a sudden started popping up online as the cool guys decided to adopt it.
People rarely use it in casual conversation because it comes off a little pompous.

I like it, and I think others like it, because it unambiguously means a 12-13 episode unit. When people say "season", it could be that length or it could be something longer, like an uninterrupted "two cour" series of 24-26 episodes.

You keep using that damn word. It's a "season" to me.... Easiest way for me to delineate where the season ends/begins is when they change the opening theme song. If you have to use a different word, say something like "arc" instead, as in "story arc".

ObTopic: I would think Bandai will still exist but only to license its properties to other licensors. I was wondering why the R1 release/distro of Tiger & Bunny is being done by Viz and not Bandai considering Sunrise's history with Bandai, but now it all makes sense with this morning's announcement.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:33 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:

Something that is the complete opposite of your prediction is that in Gonzo's most recent news article that they are going to try to globally capitalize on some of their established licenses more.

My prediction falls more inline for producers like Aniplex or Media Factory, not for individual studios themselves. Especially studios like Gonzo that can barely be called alive.
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:45 pm Reply with quote
...and this is why I hate piracy. I just got into Code Geass durrig my Christmas break, and was so pumped to read Renya too. But is everything 100% canceled??? Is there still a chance I'll be able to read Code Geass: Renya? I want answers! Sad life = officially ruined

I'm just greatful I bought Cowboy Bebop last May right before school let out for the summer. I spent (most) of my summer watching Bebop, then when DURARARA!! Came around, that too. I remember watching gundum as a kid. Now I'm sad that all some of my top 10 animes will be forever gone. As soon as I'm able to im going to go out and buy Code Geass: R2 and all of DURARARA!!

Last edited by InuNaruPokeAlchemist on Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Well this is a sad turn of events for Bandai Entertainment. I was holding out hope that they could brave the current economic state and stick around but it seems their sales just haven't been to par with what they would like. Before to long we're going to be left with just Funi, not saying their bad, just that I like a wider industry. But I guess there's nothing I can do about it. The only thing left to do is buy up the titles that I still want and hope that Aniplex USA can make a good run.

For what it's worth, I have more Bandai in my collection than any other company. For all their ups and downs I think I would have to say that they were my favorite North American anime licensing company.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:

My prediction falls more inline for producers like Aniplex or Media Factory, not for individual studios themselves. Especially studios like Gonzo that can barely be called alive.

Well without seeing your thoughts for myself the line you are drawing now seems arbitrary. It sounds like; "Not those Japanese people. Those Japanese people over there."

Still the Japanese industry looks to have been largely self-contained since it's inception.(Just like all domestic entertainment industries)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 24