• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment to Stop Releasing New DVDs, BDs, Manga

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:51 am Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:
How the fudge could Bandai turn their backs on us fans? We have supported them for decades and now they suddenly turn around and stop releasing physical products? Wrong move, Bandai! There is no reason to license Gosick and then turn around and say "fudge YOU OTAKUS!"

FUNimation should just get it over with and buy Bandai.
Maybe if more people bought Bandai anime, this wouldn't be an issue. I actually see this as a smart move. Anime will actually go in the hands of companies that are able to release them in a timely manner. I hope all of Gundam finds a new home in Sentai.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:51 am Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:
And what does this mean for their voice actors?

Well I know they use Bang Zoom and Ocean Group for a majority of their stuff so that means they will probably have less work and Bang Zoom will probably stop dubbing anime. Ocean Group will still have work.

Pretty sure Ocean also dub some western stuff too (I've had many a giggle at the voice actors who dub both Gundam characters and ones in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic). So yeah, Ocean are fairly safe.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:53 am Reply with quote
I swear this company has zero business sense. They're going to stop releasing physical media, but they're gonna keep acquiring licenses? To do what? Surely they don't think they can balance the costs on digital distribution and television. That's just ridiculous. The worst part is they have a perfectly good stable of stuff people were willing to buy, but they screwed that up with their horrible decisions. The Gurren Lagann dvd debacle instantly comes to mind. It's almost like these people have no knowledge of how things work outside Japan.

Last edited by v1cious on Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:57 am; edited 3 times in total
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:54 am Reply with quote
This is not a good year for Bandai, and they're cancelling Turn A Gundam release. uh, I hate to say this but do you think Funimation should get the license to Turn A Gundam? It would probably be the first Gundam in US not to be license by Bandai (the same goes for other Bandai license that isn't getting a release this new year), but it's the only way to release Turn A Gundam in US. Has Bandai said anything about streaming Turn A Gundam on Youtube and Hulu?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
skyreno4

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:54 am Reply with quote
Aw man this sad, now i probably wont see Gundam seed Remastered coming here at all. unless japan put original english dub on blueray releases, i will import it over here, yeah bad way to start 2012
kanjineogeo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:58 am Reply with quote
that's okay, we can still buy dvds from those series. I find theme cheap for a compete set for just around 35$.

I hope aniplex gains all rights from bandai and their upcoming titles. with gundam seed hd.

Last edited by kanjineogeo on Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:59 am Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
Maybe if more people bought Bandai anime, this wouldn't be an issue. I actually see this as a smart move. Anime will actually go in the hands of companies that are able to release them in a timely manner. I hope all of Gundam finds a new home in Sentai.

Thing is, Bandai is too infamous for releasing everything in singles and releasing full boxsets years down the road, as well as delaying things like crazy. There's very few people that collect singles now, as well the constant delays makes people wary if a release will ever come out or not.

If they switched up to the half-boxsets and complete boxsets, as well as not delay items for months on end, I'm pretty sure Bandai wouldn't be that bad off. They have some great titles, but who REALLY wants 4 single DVDs at $20 a pop for a 12- or 13-episode series?
Karlmann

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:59 am Reply with quote
There not turning their backs on the fans, they've run out of money. From what I read in the article, I guess that means that Bandai will be selling their remaining titles off over the next year or so.

Its sad to see this happen, they did a lot of good work in the industry.
LKK

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:01 am Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
No Gosick DVD? *pouts*

My reaction was stronger than a pout. Gosick was one of my big Looking Forward to Its Release titles
Takeyo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:07 am Reply with quote
kanjineogeo wrote:
I hope aniplex gains all rights from bandai and their upcoming titles. with gundam seed hd.

I can't say that I feel the same. Aniplex might not be as bad as BVUSA was, but it seems to be making a concentrated effort at converting the R1 market into something similar to the Japanese market. If Aniplex were to step for BEI's titles, a good portion of the American consumer base could be priced out of the market.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:08 am Reply with quote
Geez, another major anime distributor biting the dust? The Region 1 landscape's lost enough major players in the past several years (ADV, Central Park Media, Geneon). Sad

Sucks that Turn A Gundam is potentially getting canned as I was hoping to add it to my stockpile whenever it came out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:08 am Reply with quote
I'm not surprised at the news.

I stopped buying Bandai products. I was tired of the poor quality DVDs which didn't feature a character named Haruhi.

This is not a loss to the NA market because it seems crystal clear I wasn't the only one who decided to stop buying their crappy products.

Good riddance.

As for Gosick, not sure if it'll be released now, but I suppose this doesn't matter. It doesn't strike me as a title entering the collections of people too busy bitching at an industry that doesn't produce more DeathNote or Eva titles.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:14 am Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
Daimao Raki wrote:

Thing is, Bandai is too infamous for releasing everything in singles and releasing full boxsets years down the road, as well as delaying things like crazy. There's very few people that collect singles now, as well the constant delays makes people wary if a release will ever come out or not.

If they switched up to the half-boxsets and complete boxsets, as well as not delay items for months on end, I'm pretty sure Bandai wouldn't be that bad off. They have some great titles, but who REALLY wants 4 single DVDs at $20 a pop for a 12- or 13-episode series?

Why did they ever even cling to singles when everyone else is doing box sets in this day and age? Even Sentai has done box sets from day one! Furthermore, why did the anime industry even do single discs when we can get Western TV shows in box set form right out the gate? Where's the justice in that?

Licensing Gosick and then turning around and saying "fudge YOU! YOU CAN'T GET GOSICK DVDS NOW"? Wrong move, Bandai! I'd love nothing more than to kill the blood claats responsible for that unjust, wrongful, unfair move! DO NOT LICENSE A SHOW AND THEN TURN AROUND AND REFUSE TO RELEASE IT! Either do it right the first time or don't do it at all. There's no excuse for doing otherwise.

The Japanese model of doing things: [ Comment removed. Leave racially and politically insensitive comments like this out of these discussions. Thanks. - Keonyn]
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:17 am Reply with quote
I highly doubt this article/interview ANN is touting will really reveal anything we don't already know or can't speculate on. They'll highlight a declining demand in market shares, the fact that things are being simulcast now, blah blah blah.

Bandai, you should have packed up years ago. But, I'm glad that you brought us the titles you have over the years.

And now, make way for Funimation, the sole licensor to everything now!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:19 am Reply with quote
Well, crap. I never like to see an anime distrib stop putting out physical releases. And very disappointed to hear that Gosick and My Ordinary Life have been scrapped. Have to hope for a license rescue now, but it's probably unlikely.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 24