• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment to Stop Releasing New DVDs, BDs, Manga

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:45 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
zanarkand princess wrote:
Our tastes are more similar in the sense that we like stuff with more action, "normal comedy", and shounen jump stuff. It just tends to be more Western tuned. Comparing 1999 to now makes no sense anyway. My point was that we like Naruto and Bleach exponentially more then we like Hayate the Combat Butler.

I'd wager that most people in Japan couldn't tell you what Outlaw Star was anyway.

I am going to say I can see where you are coming from too but there is a line between what's mainstream in Japan versus mainstream in America. The few titles that Americans happened to jump on-board with are just the tip of what is considered to be mainstream in Japan.

"Normal comedy" doesn't hold much water with some of the most successful animated comedies here being shows like Family Guy, South Park, Beavis and Butthead, and Futurama.

Anime fans prefer "Normal comedy" over highly targeted obscure otaku jokes. Basically, I was making a generalization. Not talking about absolute equivalencies.

Charred Knight wrote:
If more and more distributors decide to just sell imports how can companies like Funimation and Sentai survive?

By not pricing us out of the market, by releasing better, more well written subs, by continuing to include dubs, by knowing how to market to North America. I highly doubt that Japanese companies are all going to up and distribute their own stuff and stop licensing series, because they must know this does not work in the long run.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:47 am Reply with quote

Charred Knight wrote:
If more and more distributors decide to just sell imports how can companies like Funimation and Sentai survive?

By not pricing us out of the market, by releasing better, more well written subs, by continuing to include dubs, by knowing how to market to North America. I highly doubt that Japanese companies are all going to up and distribute their own stuff and stop licensing series, because they must know this does not work in the long run.

What he was asking is if these companies won't LICENSE the anime, how will Funi and Sentai even get them to release? If a significant portion of the license holders decide that subtitled releases are the way to go, then Funi and Sentai are out of luck since they won't be getting anything to dub or release on DVD.

And it won't happen right away, but if these experiments going on now go well, I don't see why they won't. None of these companies make much money from foreign sales, so its not a big deal if they just cut out the middleman. Adding an extra 10% to their local sales would most likely make more money than if they bothered with a North American release.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:50 am Reply with quote
If the Japanese distributor was thinking long term than we wouldn't be in this situation. We wouldn't have the glut of moe shows. We would have someone trying to do something new instead of relying on manga, visual novels, or light novels to find source material.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Anime fans prefer "Normal comedy" over highly targeted obscure otaku jokes. Basically, I was making a generalization. Not talking about absolute equivalencies.

I don't even know when the distinction between anime fans and cartoon(Western animation) fans came into play. You brought up a number of shows that were only aired on Adult Swim, so I thought some other shows that aired on AS were valid indications of what we as Americans like.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:00 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
If the Japanese distributor was thinking long term than we wouldn't be in this situation. We wouldn't have the glut of moe shows. We would have someone trying to do something new instead of relying on manga, visual novels, or light novels to find source material.

We have moe shows because the Japanese react to trends, which is also why American TV went through reality TV, game show, courtroom drama, and criminal science phases. Can those be looked back on in a negative light? Sure, if you're cynical enough but tough fact is at the time those shows worked up until the point they didn't.

No matter how long term they were thinking few in the anime industry could accurately predict economic problems like a depression. Getting through financially uncertain times is about making really hard decisions and reducing as much excess as possible.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:12 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Charred Knight wrote:

What he was asking is if these companies won't LICENSE the anime, how will Funi and Sentai even get them to release? If a significant portion of the license holders decide that subtitled releases are the way to go, then Funi and Sentai are out of luck since they won't be getting anything to dub or release on DVD.

And it won't happen right away, but if these experiments going on now go well, I don't see why they won't. None of these companies make much money from foreign sales, so its not a big deal if they just cut out the middleman. Adding an extra 10% to their local sales would most likely make more money than if they bothered with a North American release.

And they would learn their lesson fast. If Japanese companies started primarily releasing their own series and selling them at Japanese prices, their US branches would start bleeding money before the Dragon Ball license expired and Funi closed up shop. It's just unlikely that it'll happen that way as of now. I really think people are too scared about Aniplex and NIS to a lesser extent. They aren't releasing a lot, it's far too expensive and the titles are very niche. It's not like Toei is saying "lol oops we want our shows back".
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:14 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

We have moe shows because the Japanese react to trends, which is also why American TV went through reality TV, game show, courtroom drama, and criminal science phases. Can those be looked back on in a negative light? Sure, if you're cynical enough but tough fact is at the time those shows worked up until the point they didn't.

No matter how long term they were thinking few in the anime industry could accurately predict economic problems like a depression. Getting through financially uncertain times is about making really hard decisions and reducing as much excess as possible.

So to make a few extra bucks the Japanese are going to cripple the american market? The Japanese are declaring defeat and saying that they can't introduce their culture to America to a meaningful degree.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:22 am Reply with quote
I thought you guys were arguing about business. To a businessman a few extra bucks should be the more important then their mother. You can't start to devalue the importance of profit to a business just because it might now effect how you entertain yourself.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:13 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
I thought you guys were arguing about business. To a businessman a few extra bucks should be the more important then their mother. You can't start to devalue the importance of profit to a business just because it might now effect how you entertain yourself.

I would think that you would not want to cripple a market as large as America just so you can make a few bucks now. I don't think you are seriously trying to entertain the idea of subtitled streaming somehow being a large time solution to how to expand Japan's cultural ability.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:37 am Reply with quote
Saying they are "crippling" is your attempt to emotionally charge this issue. From their perspective it could be seen as an attempt to maximize profits in a dwindling market.

Subtitled streams is an option that has been expressed. Bandai Visual Japan had claimed to be pleased with the results of Gundam Unicorn and that includes a dub. I don't l know why you want to throw stones at the subtitles only road when it is a proven model even though Bandai Visual has not removed the option of dubbing from the table.

Quote:

I don't think you are seriously trying to entertain the idea of subtitled streaming somehow being a large time solution to how to expand Japan's cultural ability.

I have said squat about cultural influence in this conversation or ever for that matter. I'm not even entertaining the idea that anime coming to America is much in the way of Japan expanding it's cultural influence to other countries.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:36 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
If more and more distributors decide to just sell imports how can companies like Funimation and Sentai survive? In a few years, you're looking at the American anime market basically being a bunch of Japanese distributors selling a couple hundred to a couple thousand disc imported from Japan, while the vast majority simply pirate anime.

Sort of a key word there man. Look, I totally share your hatred for the Japanese business model and I agree with you that it is concerning that we could be moving more and more in that direction. But right now two companies have started doing their own distribution. Two! One of which you yourself admit has basically wanted to do this for years. Claiming that the R1 industry is doomed is insane. You're being a ridiculous drama queen.
Takuku

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:48 am Reply with quote
...and so now there is a chance that Beez Entertainment has closed down. The majority of their titles were released by Bandai Entertainment in the US.

http://www.uk-anime.net/newsitem/Beez_Entertainment_has_closed_its_doors?.html
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Takuku wrote:
...and so now there is a chance that Beez Entertainment has closed down. The majority of their titles were released by Bandai Entertainment in the US.

http://www.uk-anime.net/newsitem/Beez_Entertainment_has_closed_its_doors?.html

If this is true, this is going to hurt the market in Europe. This is really bad and more serious then I thought.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
If more and more distributors decide to just sell imports how can companies like Funimation and Sentai survive? ...

They couldn't, but since there's more money to be had for a number of series licensing to FUNimation and Sentai than there is "just selling imports", there's no reason to expect distributors to act that way.

Its not like this kind of shift could possibly hit the market like a tidal wave, because Japanese distributors aren't well enough capitalized to do any shift like a tidal wave.

Which means the presumed shift will happen slowly enough for Japanese distributors to start to get an idea what kind of revenue they can expect from these import sales ... and they'll evaluate that potential revenue against the Minimum Guarantee offer sitting on the table, knowing that of course if the series is a runaway success they'll still get a piece of the action from royalties once the MG has been hit.

And, plus, they get a majority of the MG up front, on signing and handing over production materials, rather than spending up front to prepare the distribution for export. Especially if they were to be attempting to go into the heart of FUNimation's and Sentai's market, the series that have sufficient demand to justify doing a dub, they'll get the financial joy of the production costs of doing an extra episode, with the return on that cost waiting until and unless the English Language Country export sales show up that wouldn't have occurred for a subtitled release ...
... and remembering that English as a Second Language export markets may actually prefer subtitles, because ESL reading comprehension is often more advanced than ESL spoken comprehension, and many will be in countries where consuming media with subtitles is considered normal.

Of course people who think in oversimplified black/white, all/nothing terms will see that "what if" as some massive change hitting the market all at once ... but the likelihood of it happening that way are nil or negligible.

If it happens at all, it will be a far less dramatic shift, with ample room for FUNimation, Sentai, Media Blasters and Nozomi to continue functioning.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:53 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
No. That's just silly, slippery slope alarmism. If a major distributor like Funimation or Sentai ever goes under, that'll be significant. For now though, it's just one pretty minor player who really didn't license much these days anyway. Could this hypothetically be the first step in major, industry wide changes? Possibly, but that's just idle speculation right now. Of course, to be fair, I'll admit that the reasons for this shutdown are somewhat more concerning. (Keep in mind that my comment was originally made simply in reference to Bandai shutting down). If, as we've more recently learned, Bandai Japan wants to do more self-releases then that lends some credibility to your concerns. That could at least potentially be a sign that more and more companies will be following Aniplex example in the future. Again though, that's just speculation right now.

Well of course it's all just conjecture at the moment. But I don't think it's just okay to not think about these sorts of things, because this is a real possibility that the anime industry could be facing, and I think that we need to start thinking about this before it's too late.

And just to clarify, I'm not actually expecting all of this to happen right away or anything. But if we don't keep a close eye on the situation, the whole industry could start changing slowly without us even noticing!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 22 of 24