• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
One Piece to have small edits

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animefan16

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:27 pm Reply with quote
According to the new issue of Anime Insider, 4kids will be making small edits on One Piece. The producer for the American version said, "I think the biggest challenge is really honoring the series." There will be no name changes. Toei will also be involved in the editing. Toei also approved the voice actors for the dub.

I don't think 4kids has released a dub with "minimum edits" since Pokemon. If the edits are very small, then an uncut version won't be needed like Pokemon. But I haven't seen One Piece yet so I don't know what'll be edited.
arxane

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Unlike Pokemon, One Piece has some blood and violence in it (not extreme, but enough not to be suitable for America's TY-Y7 rating). But if 4Kids really is going to make "minimal edits" to One Piece, this should be very interesting.

Of course, people are still gonna want uncut DVDs.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I heard that Sanji's going to be chain smoking candy canes.

I'm still wondering how they're going to deal with Captain Smoker.

I really wonder how far into the series they've gotten though. I could watch the first 20 episodes and say "sure, no cuts, no problems", but as the series goes on, things keep popping up that do not scream "saturday morning tv" to me.
SquidBilly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:47 am Reply with quote
As long as an uncut version is made available on DVD... they can make their cuts to the TV version. Tho' the candy cane thing...guh.
Shorty22

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:37 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:

... you made me choke on my food when I tried to laugh at the thought. I would think that they would just edit the smoking out completely, cigarettes, hands, even arms if necessary, a la Yu Yu Hakusho. Or they could always fall back on the trusty toothpick... but candy canes seem utterly ridiculous. Rolling Eyes
keyz13

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:00 am Reply with quote
In Singapore local tv, they cut out or erase the cigarette from Sanji's mouth, I mean you see his movement like usual but there's no cigarette in his mouth. So most of the time you will see him sort of covering his mouth with his hand (that is suppose to have a cigarette) Mad
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:23 am Reply with quote
It's really almost necessary to have something in there (counter-acting reports now suggest it will be a lollipop BTW, not sure which to believe). Sanji's just always got something. The problem is that smoke is often coming out of it, so later in the series it'll become harder to mess with. And I still don't know what they'll do with Captian Smoker, who, for those who don't know spoiler[ is a semi-important reoccuring foil who wears cigars all over his body, constantly has anywhere between one and three of them in his mouth at any given time, and has the gumo-gumo fruit ability, the ability to turn his body into smoke. that guy is a walking CG-editor's knightmare if that's their policy. Wink]
UberTai

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:55 pm Reply with quote
About Captain Smoker: It is very likely that this section of One Piece will be taken out, considering the circumstances. I remember hearing at one time that this arc in One Piece was a filler created by the animators anyway. Not sure if that is true or not, but if these facts are correct, it is most likely that Captain Smoker will not be making an appearance on the American One Piece.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:38 pm Reply with quote
UberTai wrote:
About Captain Smoker: It is very likely that this section of One Piece will be taken out, considering the circumstances. I remember hearing at one time that this arc in One Piece was a filler created by the animators anyway. Not sure if that is true or not, but if these facts are correct, it is most likely that Captain Smoker will not be making an appearance on the American One Piece.

Actaully, that was the Apis Story. Which comes right after the Smoker Story.
UberTai

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Then my mistake. Still, I think it is very likely that the Captain Smoker arc is cut, as bad as that would be. 4Kids did it with the first season of Yu Gi Oh, why not with One Piece?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Let me guess, 4Kids must be afraid of the FCC, parents and other people who think that kids are going to smoke just because they see a character do it on a cartoon.

Parents need to be more involved with their kids these days, and teach their kids whats right and wrong, and not let TV teach it to them.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
arxane

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:54 pm Reply with quote
UberTai wrote:
Then my mistake. Still, I think it is very likely that the Captain Smoker arc is cut, as bad as that would be. 4Kids did it with the first season of Yu Gi Oh, why not with One Piece?

The biggest reason that 4Kids cut the first season of "Yu-Gi-Oh!" is because it had nothing to do with the card game, which if the main reason why 4Kids brought the show over to the US in the first place. Why would 4Kids care about the first season when the seasons dealing with the card games is what really draws in their audience?
Animefan16

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:07 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
Let me guess, 4Kids must be afraid of the FCC, parents and other people who think that kids are going to smoke just because they see a character do it on a cartoon.

Parents need to be more involved with their kids these days, and teach their kids whats right and wrong, and not let TV teach it to them.

That's actually possible but rare. I know I used to pretend I was smoking with a pen after watching cartoons where the charaters were smoking pipes, cigars, etc.
RedvsBlue

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

If that's true then Cartoon Network would be having some problems with Cowboy Bebop.

*I know Bebop and 4kids are not related at all in any fashion*

but still, with the FCC crawling up everyone's behinds today, how does Cartoon Network do it?

Quote:

That's the funniest thing on this board I've heard in awhile Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Jinchuu wrote:
how does Cartoon Network do it?

Four things:

1. CB is on a late night adult block
2. CB has an age warning that comes at the top of every hour
3. Shows are rated TV-14
4. It's on cable

This is the exact oposite of what 4Kids has going for it:

1. Saturday morning kids block
2. No reasons for warnings
3. Shows are rated TV-Y7
4. It's on local network television

You're dealing with two toally differnt demographics here. Just because they're both animated, what you're saying is to say that Pokemon should be able to show death and murder because CSI can.

kusanagi-sama wrote:

Well, that and the fines that the FCC could inflict on 4Kids for showing stuff like that on a kid's cartoon block on network televison; or worse, remove the show.

Emerje
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2