• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Code Geass Brittania Metaphor

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who do you think the creator of Code Geass made the Holy Empire of Britannia a metaphor for the most?
United States of America (Current)
25%
 25%  [ 19 ]
Empire of Japan (Pre-1945)
15%
 15%  [ 12 ]
United Kingdom
50%
 50%  [ 38 ]
Other (please give your personal answer if you can)
9%
 9%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 76

Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:51 am Reply with quote
A lot of kaiser's reasons are pretty much common to any evil empire. It sounds much less like metaphor and more like flavor to me(having never seen the show).

Of course, given the contortions some people go through to link the American Civil War to slavery(nevermind the Republicans being willing to guarantee the institution into eternity and Congress expressly saying it wasn't), it's not surprising they'd grab a few stray references here and there to claim Britannia's based on what they want it to be based on.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I know the last post is 2 years ago, but Tony K told me that it's OK to bump it. I'm going to give you my 2 cent on the metaphor analogy of the Holy Britannian Empire, the majority that selected the United Kingdom are correct.

Look at the flag of Holy Britannian Empire

Now compare it to The flag of England (aka St George's Cross):

and the Union Jack (flag of United Kingdom):

The flag of Britannian flag is based off of the Flag of England, with the blue color in the background from the Union Jack thrown in.

The lion on the Britannian flag is definitley based off of the Royal coat of arms of the UK (the snake is not in there as you notice):

So yes, that's one analogy the Brittanian empire is the UK/British Empire. One ANN user pointed out Camelot, a Britianian Special Research Division is named after the castle associated to King Arthur, another English reference.

Also, let's not forget Britannia is what the Roman called the British Isles. I read it on the Code Geass Wikia that the Holy Britannian Empire government seem to be similar to the current UK government. They both have House of lords, a prime minister. I'm not sure if the Britannian empire had something in their government like Great office of state, and cabinets (ie: Home office) like in the current UK government.

The Holy Britannian Empire do have nobility rank just like the British counterpart:

Code Geass Wikia wrote:
Nobility
Outside the Royal Family, there were numerous noble ranks during Charles' era, listed here in order of importance:

Grand Duke (大公爵)
Duke (公爵)
Marquess (侯爵)
Margrave (辺境伯)
Earl (伯爵)
Viscount (子爵)
Baron (男爵)
Knight (騎士), non-hereditary.
Knight of Honor (武勲侯), non-hereditary

I'm not sure if the Britannian empire had courtesy titles like in the UK (ie: dame, sir, lord, lady, etc...). But the Knighting ceremony in Code Geass could be similar to Order of the British Empire.

So yes, in conclusion the Holy Britannian Empire is basically an alternate British Empire.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mark.H.K

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:48 pm Reply with quote
You guys have all raised some interesting points, but don't you think it could represent a critique of western imperialism in general. I mean Britain was the biggest proponent in the 19th century and from WW2ish its been the U.S. The kings policies are pretty much Darwinian capitalism as well, that is the key ideological position of the U.S. and was (is?) of the UK. I also kind of think Taniguchi was probably being sarcastic.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Mark.H.K wrote:
You guys have all raised some interesting points, but don't you think it could represent a critique of western imperialism in general. I mean Britain was the biggest proponent in the 19th century and from WW2ish its been the U.S. The kings policies are pretty much Darwinian capitalism as well, that is the key ideological position of the U.S. and was (is?) of the UK. I also kind of think Taniguchi was probably being sarcastic.

Well that is possible, but then again I haven't watch the majority of the series nor read the manga so I don't know what's the message Taniguichi was trying to tell us regarding Britain and US foreign policy or imperialism.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3