• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2015 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:06 am Reply with quote
The new Digimon series will likely be a easy hit for various people, especially Digimon fans.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:17 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
The new Digimon series will likely be a easy hit for various people, especially Digimon fans.

Yes, but will it even come this season? There's no specific airing date; no confirmed television channel; no released CMs (that I've heard of). I'm pumped for a new Digimon series but it looks like we'll have to wait I'm afraid. Maybe next season?
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:37 am Reply with quote
At this point, I'm assuming Digimon has been pushed back. Odd that they haven't announced it.

Arslan felt very bland to me. Nothing about it stood out, probably a result of the original being very popular, definitive, and having been around for a while. Not overly fond of these designs. Arslan's in particular is bleh. Didn't find the animation that great either, especially for an opening episode.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:41 am Reply with quote
Oh my goodness, SHOW BY ROCK!! is simply epic. It's incredibly cheesy to be sure, but don't count it out; the cheese actually makes it all that much funnier. The massive energy and the surprisingly good animation and the hilarious sendups and parodies of the idol genre all make this a riotously good time. I had a huge grin on my face the entire episode, and laughed plenty.
Octorockandroll

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:46 am Reply with quote
The tameness of the battles in Arslan is very strange considering the manga had enough violence to fill Berserk and a mortal kombat game. At least they capture the sense of giganticness the fights had in the books. Looking forward to more of this one

Last edited by Octorockandroll on Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:54 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Oh my goodness, SHOW BY ROCK!! is simply epic. It's incredibly cheesy to be sure, but don't count it out; the cheese actually makes it all that much funnier. The massive energy and the surprisingly good animation and the hilarious sendups and parodies of the idol genre all make this a riotously good time. I had a huge grin on my face the entire episode, and laughed plenty.

Nothing about it seemed like a parody or a sendup of the idol genre to me. It's wacky and high-energy but there's no mocking of anything, this is straight-up sincere idol stuff.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:19 am Reply with quote
maxwell3094 wrote:
You seem to be slightly mistaken. I can't speak for dtm but I don't know what is going to happen. I have zero experience with or knowledge of the source for Seraph. What I put in spoiler tags a few posts back was just a conclusion I was able to reach due to that image.

On a side note I wouldn't really call less than a day a long period of time. Literally the first time I checked the page after having seen the first episode I noticed that.

dtm42 wrote:
I want to make it clear that I haven't read the manga, no-one has told me what happens, and I haven't read any spoilers anywhere on the internet about the show. I said it was a predictable plot twist only because the basic story itself is so predictable; anyone who has seen enough of these types of shows generally knows what to expect. But I didn't actually know about the plot twist until I saw the ad, where I had my suspicions confirmed.

Ah, I misinterpreted what you meant--I thought you guys already knew what would happen. My mistake, and I apologize for it.

The Anime News Network preview guides also seem to go by really really quickly, so to me, a day would be "a while." But I suppose just because we have 9 pages of posts doesn't mean it's a while for everybody.

RestLessone wrote:
Arslan felt very bland to me. Nothing about it stood out, probably a result of the original being very popular, definitive, and having been around for a while. Not overly fond of these designs. Arslan's in particular is bleh. Didn't find the animation that great either, especially for an opening episode.

That's pretty odd--if something is based on an incredibly popular and definitive work, then it should really stand out and make an impression, or it will get lost among previous versions of itself. Such a work will inevitably get compared to those previous versions, and it must be able to hold up against those comparisons to succeed.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:38 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

That's pretty odd--if something is based on an incredibly popular and definitive work, then it should really stand out and make an impression, or it will get lost among previous versions of itself. Such a work will inevitably get compared to those previous versions, and it must be able to hold up against those comparisons to succeed.

I don't think it's incredibly odd. It just feels like the setting and characters have been written a million times over. At least, that was my impression, having no exposure to the novels. Granted, I've heard what's happening in this first ep. isn't the same timeline as the novel. (Being the first episode, it might also improve drastically.)

What really, really doesn't help is the boring character designs. At least Arslan's. Combined with his voice, he's just a grating character.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:50 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Yes, but will it even come this season? There's no specific airing date; no confirmed television channel; no released CMs (that I've heard of). I'm pumped for a new Digimon series but it looks like we'll have to wait I'm afraid. Maybe next season?

I heard it was taking over Majin Bone's Tuesday timeslot.

Regarding Gunslinger Stratos...

Theron wrote:
What the first episode doesn't say is that this is apparently a concept somewhat akin to Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere, where parallel universes are collapsing together, and a battle is being fought to determine which one will survive. Hence Tohru's double is the alternate-universe version of himself.

Cool spoiler there, bro. Thanks for giving away the show's big mystery. Mad
Videogamep

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:52 am Reply with quote
Octorockandroll wrote:
The tameness of the battles in Arslan is very strange considering the manga had enough violence to fill Berserk and a mortal kombat game. At least they capture the sense of giganticness the fights had in the books. Looking forward to more of this one

It could be because it was just the opening fight. They might have more in the later fights.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Barbobot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Also just to point out about Seraph of the End, look at any of the production materials available here about Seraph of the End. Nearly every single news post regarding Seraph of the End on ANN, including new PVs that came out or cast announcements either includes an image of Mikaela looking like that or specifically say spoiler["Kensho Ono as Mikaela Hyakuya, "the second remaining survivor of the Hyakuya Orphanage, and best friend of Yuichiro. He was thought to have died when escaping from the city of vampire, but was alive and turned into a vampire. He fights to rescue Yuichiro who is been used by humans.""] I spoiled it just in case, but everything in that spoiler is just copy-pasted from one of the cast announcement articles for the show here on ANN. It doesn't seem like it's some big spoiler they are trying to hide.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:27 pm Reply with quote
^even the source manga seems remarkably uninterested in trying to hide that particular plot point. As I recall they even included that in the summary of the series when it started being simul-published in Viz's Weekly Shonen Jump.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it has been asked already, (if so, I apologize in advance for bringing it up again,) but no news about Kyōkai no Rinne? It already started airing on April 4th.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
Maybe it has been asked already, (if so, I apologize in advance for bringing it up again,) but no news about Kyōkai no Rinne? It already started airing on April 4th.

As far as I'm aware, there's been no announcement for anybody streaming it, though it could be a late/delayed pick up. As for the preview guide, ANN only covers series that are legally available, thus why there aren't any pages for Blood Blockade Battlefront or The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki either
jtiskool305

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:

I haven't seen any fansubs of it pop up.
Just the raws. Animation looks really nice and VA's fit nicely. I really hope someone licenses this series as it's one of my favorite Rumiko series'.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 43