• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:25 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
CrowLia wrote:
I'm not watching Guilty Crown. I originally watched the first 11 eps when they aired last year, but gave up halfway because the only character I liked, spoiler[Gai], died...

Yeah . . . about that . . .

spoiler[Let's just say that one should never assume that a character is dead, or will stay dead forever . . . especially in a show as god-awful as Guilty Crown.]

Ehh I already spoiled myself all the way through the ending -because I didn't plan to finish it initially so at least I read how it ended. And I believe spoiler[Gai did die again in the finale?] -unless I misread- So yeah, the only character I like dyingspoiler[ not once, but twice] makes for great motivation to keep watching *snort*
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:51 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I'm now watching Guilty Crown. I originally watched the first 11 eps when they aired last year, but gave up halfway because the only character I liked, spoiler[Gai], died and the show was too crappy, the plot was a mash up of popular tropes and what not.
Maybe this explains why I declined to keep watching after the New Year's break. I couldn't really explain it at the time beyond simply never feeling like it(same thing's happen to Space Brothers, Polar Bear's Cafe and a few others, but I do intend on watching them sometime), but your post makes me I think I lost the motivation to continue since spoiler[Dan Eagleman] was the only worthwhile character. Your post and the spoilers I've read about the show make me think I made the right choice.

Of course, since this isn't the "What aren't you watching?" thread, I'm currently working my way through Hidamari Sketch x ☆☆☆. The OP definitely seems plain for the series and the nose shadows bug me, but that hardly detracts from the quality of the show itself(the sudden appearance of fanservice in every episode's definitely annoying, though). I also wish Nazuna had a clearer voice.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Finally! Another DAN EAGLEMAN!!! fan (I feel like I have to say it in all caps every time I say his name).
Tris8

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I started Pandora Hearts after watching the first ep of Boys Over Flowers and deciding k-drama is not for me. It's strange, in anime I tend to like all the over-the-top reactions and obvious stuff that the characters overlook. In Boys Over Flowers I just found it annoying.... Well, I may try k-drama again some time, but for now I'm going to stick with what I know I like, and that's anime.

I'm on ep 13 right now. I really liked the first 3 episodes. They moved fast and I like how the main character, Oz, isn't a goody-two-shoes. I also really appreciated how he didn't spoiler[freak out once he was in the abyss. In fact, him getting banished there at all was unexpected. It was refreshing to see him keep his cool, as most characters in other anime in a similar situation freak out.] I found some parts dragged a little in the next episodes, like spoiler[the melodrama of Gilbert/Raven], but it has picked up and I'm enjoying it.
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
I started Pandora Hearts after watching the first ep of Boys Over Flowers and deciding k-drama is not for me. It's strange, in anime I tend to like all the over-the-top reactions and obvious stuff that the characters overlook. In Boys Over Flowers I just found it annoying.... Well, I may try k-drama again some time, but for now I'm going to stick with what I know I like, and that's anime.

I started watching the j-drama of that several years ago, and I thought that the first episode was amazing (the punch at the end of the episode was even better than the flying kick that was given in the manga... or at least I think it was a flying kick - been too long since I've seen it). Afterwards, it kinda went downhill for me. I think I saw four episodes total. There was a scene with an elevator, which just kinda did me in. If you don't have the special effects to pull such a thing off, don't try.

Also, something else that bothers me are the dynamics between males and females in manga/anime vs. live action. Manga/anime can get away with girls acting really brutish, violent, non-cutesy, non-girly. Like the main female lead in Boys Over Flowers (whose name escapes me right now). She does flying kicks and a bunch of other overexaggerated and violent things that's become accepted of anime/manga. In live action, however, that really can't be pulled off well without looking goofy or fake. Also, in the live action, even when she was acting normal (walking around, talking with others, etc.) she just seemed meeker and more subdued. Part of the issue may be that a lot of nonverbal cues that don't always come across in anime. Or, more likely, it may be an issue that the live action is being marketed for a larger crowd and so female characters are expected to act more like a typical Japanese girl. It just bothered me, honestly.

One reason I love anime/manga is that I can get scenes like in LoveCom where the main leads verbally and physically abuse each other and can act in an exaggerated manner from their normal gender roles and it's considered acceptable or just a quirk of the medium. Where the girl can slouch or be loud or make ugly facial expressions. Where the guy can get all sparkly-eyed and fangasm all over stuff. Having Maka, from Soul Eater, get punched in the face by BlackStar and make it look ugly and painful to the point where she bounces off the ground several times and goes flying into a trash dumpster... was one of my favorite parts in the series! EF YEAH! Equality! She did something wrong and was willing to face equal consequences that BlackStar would provide to anyone else. She didn't want him to go easy on her. And he didn't.

Anyways, I started losing interest in the j-drama. Then again, the manga went downhill for me as well - I was hoping that the j-drama would resolve those issues. I still don't know. It went downhill for entirely different reasons.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
victor viper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:11 pm Reply with quote
My copy of Is This a Zombie? arrived today. I'm through the first 4 episodes and it hasn't failed to disappoint. So far, it's every bit as deranged as I'd expected. Then again, I was sold on the show when I read this snippet in ANN's review:

Blackest humor and emptiest fluff rub shoulders with disturbing gore and intense psychopathy.

I do like how Ayumu's moe-vision of Eucliwood is handled, and the combination of harem hijinks and splatter works better when animated than it does in the manga. Although I have to say, Funi's decision to use "magic garment girl" in the subtitles is a little distracting; I think I prefer Yen Press' "magikewl girl".
stove top stuffing

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I just finished Key the Metal Idol. I found a good deal for the 3 individual dvd volumes on ebay(I didn't get the collection) and I have to say that it is a really killer show. The OP and ED are great.

It was great to see a show with great characters and a good story. Not a bunch of panty shots and the like. Don't get me wrong. I am down with dirty stuff, Key was just a refreshing change of pace.

I have to laugh at the ocean dub though. The Canadian accents crack me up.
amarielah

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I've been trying to get through FMA: Brotherhood for the past few weeks, mostly because I really want to get back into the FMA fandom -- and that's the version that all the newbies know.

Honestly, if it were any other show, I probably would've stopped watching several times already. It's good -- don't get me wrong -- but there were certain events that just hit all of my Berserk Buttons. I hate it when characters who are supposed to be intelligent behave stupidly for absolutely no good reason (or as I like to call it: plot-induced stupidity) -- which is exactly what happened with spoiler[May and Envy].

I also hate it when characters use spoiler[threats of suicide to get other characters to do what they want, which is what Riza did with Roy. That's not even counting how much it undermines her sense of identity as anything but a satellite for Roy.]

Actually, the whole spoiler[Envy/Roy fight was one big massive black mark on the entire show for me. Scar was full of crap for drawing a parallel between Roy killing Envy and him killing any random State Alchemists he could get his hands on, and Edward was full of crap for listening to him. I could maybe have accepted Roy being talked down from the edge by Riza (without the "I'll kill myself after I kill you" crap), but I couldn't accept how he had no lingering anger or resentment afterwards. Never mind that the whole confrontation shouldn't have even happened in the first place, because May shoud've had the common sense to bury Envy somewhere in desert.]

I'm not a big fan of the spoiler[zombie army], either, and I'm finding Edward's increasingly unchallenged self-righteousness to be downright infuriating. The morality presented as "correct" is generally very childlike and lacking sophistication, which wouldn't be so jarring if the show didn't address complex topics with real-world parallels.

All that said, I certainly don't hate it. I genuinely love Ling and Greeling, and I appreciate how coherent the plot is despite its intricacy -- though at times it falls into the Suspiciously Convenient Coincidence trap, and characters have a tendency to lapse into unnecessary expository dialogue.

All in all, I can see why it appeals to others so much, but it's falling into the "better than average" category for me. I still have to watch the last ten or so episodes, so while my other issues with it certainty won't disappear, perhaps the finale will blow my mind enough to raise it to a "very good".
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:23 am Reply with quote
willag wrote:

Also, something else that bothers me are the dynamics between males and females in manga/anime vs. live action. Manga/anime can get away with girls acting really brutish, violent, non-cutesy, non-girly. Like the main female lead in Boys Over Flowers (whose name escapes me right now). She does flying kicks and a bunch of other overexaggerated and violent things that's become accepted of anime/manga. In live action, however, that really can't be pulled off well without looking goofy or fake. Also, in the live action, even when she was acting normal (walking around, talking with others, etc.) she just seemed meeker and more subdued.

What, does this really happen and I completely forgot it? I saw this anime a long time ago now, but remember liking it a lot and kinda regret not buying it when Rightstuf had it for a New Years deal one year, and I more recently saw the live KDrama (not the JDrama) and I don't really remember her doing things like that in either adaptation. Maybe once near the beginning, but not much of this sort of thing from her. I completely agree that there are some things that simply are better in anime and always will be than a live action. I love love love my anime, but I find it fun to watch the live actions of things I have seen in anime previously too, even if I find them cheesier somehow.

I did find that I liked the live action of Legend of the Condor Hero (or Condor Hero) about the same in both live and anime forms yet in sorta different ways. Much was the same, some was different (end) and I would watch that again. Another I liked was Shinobi-Heart Under Blade which was the same story as Basilisk.

Let's see, while I am here, I recently finished Kids on the Slope and liked it immensely. I thought it was a wonderful Bro-mance show...I loved the heartwarming friendship that developed between the boys and the unfolding of their romances, whatever happened with the girls and their families though, they remained friends for life. I really enjoyed this with the Jazz music even though this isn't a type of music I normally listen to, it was all accessible and engaging, just a real fun show. *two thumbs up*

I also finished Time of Eve or Eve no Jinkan recently and maybe I'd had too high of hopes for it from hearing bits about it here and there, but it was simply an OK show for me. Luckily it was short or I may have liked it less. While I found the story decent, I didn't find it particularly thought provoking, which I think it was trying for, and the animation was nice, but nothing that made me love the show more because of it. I feel slightly let down only because I had too high of hopes I think, but it was still rated good here by me.

Well, I am in the midst of way too many shows to chat about more now, so I am off!
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
I'm on ep 13 right now of Pandora Hearts. I really liked the first 3 episodes. They moved fast and I like how the main character, Oz, isn't a goody-two-shoes. I also really appreciated how he didn't spoiler[freak out once he was in the abyss. In fact, him getting banished there at all was unexpected. It was refreshing to see him keep his cool, as most characters in other anime in a similar situation freak out.] I found some parts dragged a little in the next episodes, like spoiler[the melodrama of Gilbert/Raven], but it has picked up and I'm enjoying it. How far are you Cherry Blossom Princess? Is this your first watch-through? It is my first viewing.

Nice to see another person who is enjoying Pandora Hearts. Smile It's a good story and it's a pity that the anime was made very early and stopped long before the first major plot twist.

Oz's behaviour is definitely different from the way most shounen main characters behave. Which is a good thing. I would not want another obnoxious and stupid Naruto-like character. But then again, Pandora Hearts is not a generic shounen.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Ah, Pandora Hearts. I recently finished that series. It's aggravating though.

Aggravating, because parts of it are so good. Though initially it has some trouble balancing the humorous, that gets better as the series goes on. Pretty much everything does, the characters, the story, the mysteries. The music, oh the music, probably my favorite Yuki Kajiura soundtrack of all time.

And then, after episodes 21 and 22, the best episodes of the series where major mysteries are answers but even bigger questions asked, we get (vague spoilers) spoiler[an anime original ending that tries to set up two different climaxes, both of them rushed and weak, and answers absolutely nothing, resolves nothing, while still managing to mess up the story enough where they'd have to be completely retconned if future seasons were ever made.]

Well, at least I can read the manga and while listening to the anime soundtrack to get the rest of the story.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Lalala, random stuff! Diving into the Media Blasters portion of my backlog apparently!

Kurogane Communication eps 1-8
First off, watching this after watching Digimin so recently, is just weird. Angemon, Izzy, Mummymom (with occasional hints of Gabumon's voice), it's like the whole dub just screams "Digimon" to me, lol. Wendee Lee is in this too, but she's using her adult voice, not her little kid TK voice, so that can slide.
Anyway, I'm finding it an enjoyable enough slice of life show with robots. Credits say it ran in Dengeki Daioh, and it totally seems their sort of thing. Except without crazy death action all the time and normal slice of life. And the 15 minute format (more like 12 after the songs are cut) works rather well for it.

GaoGaiGar eps 1-2
You will never get this song out your head. You just can't. I don't think I'm going to be able to skip this OP even once during my whole viewing, I just know it! Anyway, this was made as a response to NGE to be an anti-NGE. So far TTGL is still the best anti-NGE (and Giant Robo the second best, though it was made before NGE and shouldn't count), but this is a bit insane too. Like, first 2 minutes, even before the damn OP plays for the first gagaga-gagaga time, random couple driving in the snow of who knows where (they appear to be driving literally on the snow, not just snowy roads), sees a shooting star, wishes for a baby. In what can only be described as the most instant gratification wish granting star ever, a giant lion mecha instantly shows up running toward their car, they stop, the mecha opens its mouth, and there's a damn baby in there. This is the first two minutes, man!
Anyway, remember how it took TTGL spoiler[the entire series] to get to the title mecha? Nah, GGG does it first episode. Which makes me wonder what more it can do, I feel like it's kinda already revealed its trump card. Which it did again in ep 2. Unless the OP will update ever with more awesome attachments. I was kinda hoping it would take it slower, I'm not used to the "final fusion" form of stuff coming in on episode 1 and all other iterations before that being complete useless.
But it is a fun, crazy, anime way to unwind after work, so I'll watch some more tomorrow!
Mylene

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:58 pm Reply with quote
It took just shy of 4 years (I started watching December 26, 2008), but I finally finished watching the original Hajime no Ippo/Fighting Spirit series. Well, minus the special which I'll watch over the next couple of nights.

For a show about boxing, it's really quite good. A few of the fights last a little too long, but in general it's well-paced. Ippo is a likable main character, and I really liked how they didn't just totally ditch all of the guys that he's beaten. They either show up again (often as spectators at matches) or get referred to frequently, and they took some time after the first main story to bring them out again so we would know what happened to them.

I have no desire to ever watch it again, and since the art isn't my cup of tea I'll probably go ahead and sell my DVDs once I finish watching the special. But still, solid sports anime that had some of the more over-the-top moves while still usually keeping you guessing if Ippo will actually win or not. I like that.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
And then, after episodes 21 and 22, the best episodes of the series where major mysteries are answers but even bigger questions asked, we get (vague spoilers) spoiler[an anime original ending that tries to set up two different climaxes, both of them rushed and weak, and answers absolutely nothing, resolves nothing, while still managing to mess up the story enough where they'd have to be completely retconned if future seasons were ever made.]

Unfortunately, that's the problem with many anime whose source material is ongoing. It's a shame that it happened to Pandora Hearts. If it had not been made into anime for a little longer, maybe a better studio would have become interested in animating it once the manga has entered the realm of epicness.
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:27 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
GaoGaiGar eps 1-2
You will never get this song out your head. You just can't. I don't think I'm going to be able to skip this OP even once during my whole viewing, I just know it! Anyway, this was made as a response to NGE to be an anti-NGE. So far TTGL is still the best anti-NGE (and Giant Robo the second best, though it was made before NGE and shouldn't count), but this is a bit insane too. Like, first 2 minutes, even before the damn OP plays for the first gagaga-gagaga time, random couple driving in the snow of who knows where (they appear to be driving literally on the snow, not just snowy roads), sees a shooting star, wishes for a baby. In what can only be described as the most instant gratification wish granting star ever, a giant lion mecha instantly shows up running toward their car, they stop, the mecha opens its mouth, and there's a damn baby in there. This is the first two minutes, man!
Anyway, remember how it took TTGL spoiler[the entire series] to get to the title mecha? Nah, GGG does it first episode. Which makes me wonder what more it can do, I feel like it's kinda already revealed its trump card. Which it did again in ep 2. Unless the OP will update ever with more awesome attachments. I was kinda hoping it would take it slower, I'm not used to the "final fusion" form of stuff coming in on episode 1 and all other iterations before that being complete useless.
But it is a fun, crazy, anime way to unwind after work, so I'll watch some more tomorrow!

It's a fun series! I found the first 8 or 10 episodes a bit boring, but then it started to hit supreme levels of awesome and just kept going. Especially once Volfogg was introduced. VOLFOGG!!! Very Happy It seems like almost every episode after that is about trumping its previous trump card with a new weapon/attack/robot/fusion technique, etc.

My only complaint? Mic. Augh, Mic.

On MAL, I was the one that started a discussion for pretty much all of the episodes. I didn't do the first 8-10 because, like I said, I found 'em a tad dull, but it didn't stay that way for long.

My next course of action is to watch FINAL at some point.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 738 of 1062