• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjapet

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Rightstuff shipped my copy of The World God Only Knows a bit early and I just got my copy today. So I sat down and re-watched the first season with the dub.

Ok anyone who’s a fan of the manga or watched both seasons of the anime know that season 1 faces some interesting problems. Mainly the fact the pacing is off compared to the early arcs of the manga. Ect ect. Given the fact out of the two seasons, season 1 is a bit weaker due to that problem and the fact the first few eps are spent on intros it takes a bit longer for the dub to get set.

I found my self not digging the voices fully till after Mio’s arc. Which is ep 4 or so, given that the series is short capture arcs getting used to the different girls voices was a bit hard.

Elsie: The dub closely matches the tone of the Japanese, only cutting out her awah~ sounds most of the time. It took till about ep 3 to get used to things and to were it sounded natural.

Keima: Hit or miss right off the bat, lacking the over the top crazy reactions from the Japanese copy fans might feel a little let down. But the English dub treats Keima’s voice with a more serious tone which people might like.

Ayumi: Again hit or miss, given that she is only in one ep during the first season it’s a bit hard to figure out if the voice fits or not. Personally I felt like the voice didn’t match up, sounding a bit to old for the character.

Mio: On par with the Japanese voice, even a bit better I think. Mio’s voice didn’t take any extra time to get used to, it fit right off the bat.

Kanon: Again hit or miss. Kanon’s english voice suffers from the simple fact of the songs not being dubbed. Meaning the track suddenly switches to Japanese when ever a song starts up. It messes with the flow. Over all during the serious scenes her voice fit, other wise it was a bit annoying and didn’t fit as much as it should have.

Shiori: Shiori is the only character that was double cast, meaning Hilary Haag was playing two main characters during the series. You can tell it’s the same voice actor but the tone she took for Shiori was vastly different. If you’ve ever watched Pani Poni Dash and Canaan it was a mix of Becky and Maria. Over all the voice fit and it was a great.

Chihiro: Again due to the fact Chihiro doesn’t speak that much in till season 2 her voice didn’t really click for me. It sounded to high pitched and a little off mark but we’ll see how it goes in season two.

Over all the dub was decent, by all means it followed the translation almost perfect. People who have never watched the anime before will enjoy it while fans can enjoy a different take on character voices.

Is it worth buying? By all means yes, I enjoyed the dub enough to give it some rewatch value, and the sub is very good as well. Mostly following what Crunchyroll used during their stream of the show back in 2010.

Something to watch out for though if you watched the series beforehand, these are the changes I noticed.

- Runaway spirit squad was changed to Loose spirit group
- Kami-sama and Kami-nii-sama was changed to Divine one and Divine brother.
- Along with Exalted brother in some cases.(in a more formal case)
- Elsie’s nickname El-chan was changed to just El, while Elly was kept in use
- Names are kept in Japanese order meaning last, first
- Firetruck was changed to fire engine
- Almost all of Elsie’s awah~ sounds were removed in the dub

Also just a little extra thing, based on the credits at the end of ep 12 and the teaser for season two. Haqua is mostly likely being voiced by Serena Varghese.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Just finished watching my Freedom BD boxset, and I must say I really liked it. The cgi animation takes a little while to get used to, and to be honest I wished they had just used standard animation throughout.

The dub was also very good. Stephanie Sheh started to grate on me as Ao though. I also like the fact that it told such a tight, compact storyline in only 7 episodes. I felt like it didn't leave anything out, though I would love to see more ofspoiler[Takeru and his friends' adventures when they are all at planet Earth at the end of the series]. It also might have been nice to see if spoiler[the council on the moon actually changed their ways and allowed people to travel from the moon to earth, and vice versa. I think this was hinted at, with the huge rocket flying away at the end, and also Ao and the others planting seeds and using things meant for the Mars Terraformation project (which the Council was previously withholding from the inhabitants of Earth).]

The Cup Noodle thing was the only real downer. Get that sh*t out of there. Laughing

Overall I'd give it an 8/10. Definitely buy it, the dvds can be had for cheap I'm sure. That reminds me, this BD box looks friggin amazing. One of the best I own. It also has dubs in Japanese, English, and French, which is quite nice. The msrp for the BD boxset is definitely not worth it though. People are charging a lot for it now (I was lucky to get it $50 new on ebay last month), and I think amazon.ca still has them in stock for about $130. Just go for the dvds instead, I'm sure they would look great upscaled anyway.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:58 am Reply with quote
I am re-watching Hikaru No Go since I discovered that it is on Netflix, and while when reading the description they list the dub actors, it is actually a subbed stream, interesting right?

I saw this before and have always wanted to buy it, but just haven't for one reason or another yet... I loved this show when I first saw it and it's still just as interesting and thrilling to me. How a show about a game I never heard of or saw can become so interesting is hard to explain...good writing, music that fit it well to make you feel the intensity, the suspense, the passion the characters have for the game...makes you feel for them all, cheer for them, and care about what happens.

This is one of those shows I would recommend to almost anyone, young or old. Seriously, if you haven't seen it, why not?

I am loath to see it coming to an end again, it's not a short series (75 episodes) but you will not want to take long to see it as you are always wondering about what happens next.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:02 am Reply with quote
bonbonsrus wrote:
I saw this before and have always wanted to buy it, but just haven't for one reason or another yet

Shame Viz never fully released it on DVD (big surprise, right?) but at least they finished the manga! I'd buy that ASAP (not just you, but like everyone reading this)

Anyway, yeah, still don't know very much about Go after finishing the manga, and I can't say I even care, not when the storytelling and characters are just so damn good! It's easily my favorite shonen and third favorite manga series of all time, there's really just nothing else like it. I like how there's not really a bad guy, you kinda like them all and when they can't all move onwards in the world of Go at the same time, it makes you sad. But it also means that you enjoy the series no matter whom it follows. It starts off with the supernatural element of Sai more or less forcing Hikaru into the game of Go, but it just helps Hikaru develop so much as a character when he gets into it for reals.

Hmm, maybe I should watch the anime now that you mention the music, it's not the sort of manga I'll ever get sick of reading and it's one of the only ones that makes me cry every time I read a particular scene (most annoyingly split between volumes in the manga, I think it's towards the end of the anime), so I can't say I'd feel like watching the anime would be anything other than a great usage of anime time. And if it's as easy as the manga is to marathon, 75 episodes will, of course, be too short (the manga goes further in the story and it's still too short! I think it should've gone on until Hikaru and Akira are two old men playing their final game against each other on their death beds, and that's probably not just me wanting it to go on for that long)

Yeah, people, I know I said it a million times during the last tourney, but watch (or read) Hikaru no Go!
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:21 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
And if it's as easy as the manga is to marathon, 75 episodes will, of course, be too short (the manga goes further in the story and it's still too short! I think it should've gone on until Hikaru and Akira are two old men playing their final game against each other on their death beds, and that's probably not just me wanting it to go on for that long)

Dang, I really can't afford to buy a long manga series, but now I completely want to read the ending that goes farther! I wonder if I can order it from my library...hmmm, which volumes go past the anime?
And I agree, I was always waiting for it to be released in one big complete series to buy, which never happened.

I also agree about wanting it to end the way you said, them old and playing, it ended well regardless in the anime, and I assume in the manga as well, but still...the whole not wanting it to end...
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, well I looked online at episode descriptions (not like it'd spoil anything for me anyway), I think it ends at somewhere in volume 17. 18 is a volume of 6 short stories, no idea if they were animated, 19-23 should be all new. The movie covers some of the next arc, but not all of it. And I feel like there's really no good place to end Hikago, unless they're old in their death beds as I said, but there are better places to end it than others, where the anime ended it was one of them. Yes, the manga finishes the arc and doesn't end mid-arc or anything annoying and it's still quality Hikago the whole time, but it's also not a good ending place per se (which I said is already very difficult)

On the plus side, since Hikago was a shonen jump title, volumes up to 15 or so are $8 each and $10 thereafter. And if you think an entire manga series would be costly, have you seen the prices on some of the singles for the DVDs? Be glad the Hikago manga is in print and complete for now (but don't count on it in the future, it took Viz longer to release the manga in America than for how long it ran in Japan. Not just by months, but a good 2 years longer. So they didn't exactly give this series the royal treatment now did they?)
An1fr3ak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:02 pm Reply with quote
As per my previous post, I haven't completed any of the anime aforementioned with the exception of the Mystical Archives of Dantalian.
Before I get into it, did anyone get the feel the Mystical Archives of Dantalian was created in a more old school fashion, as opposed to that of its contemporaries?? In any case, I thought it was quite good, but not worthy of how highly applauded it was. As far as I'm corcerned, it was pretty original in terms of storyline and presentation (anyone care to enlighten me if it isn't the case) and The OP theme is an absolute killer. The song is so good and so well suited to the anime that I started getting Elfen Lied flashbacks!! It was evoking some of the same reactions I had to Elfen Lied's theme song and how well suited it is to the anime. The ED theme is also well suited to the anime, but props to the OP theme song.
The Mystical Archives of Dantalian is one of those perfect night time anime. After I completed the anime last night, I went outside to look at the moon with the lyrics of the OP theme still reverberating inside my head and it was GLORIOUS...

I also started and completed Mayo Chiki. The main character Kinjirou Sakamachi is a classic hardcase with his unique problem. Razz I laughed my way through the entire anime. My only source of disappointment comes from the fact that we spoiler[never meet his mum]. That would have been epic (and hilarious). The whole, OMG, they must be gay gag never got old for me either. It's a really good romantic high school comedy anime by way of what it offers (by my standards anyway). The occurence I was really happy about was at the end, spoiler[when they basically become a couple. I hate it when an anime doesn't give closure on a relationship].
Just like the way they did it in Nyan Koi! Just remembering pisses me off. They better make a second season or I'll scream.

I also started and finished Ben-to on the same day as Mayo Chiki!! My friend told me it was one of those 'just for laughs' anime. I thought it was pretty good though. Maybe the conslusion/ending was a bit rushed, but overall, I quite liked the premise and the way it was executed. spoiler[The nickname 'Pervert' was so funny when it was coined. Especially compared to nicknames like the 'Ice Witch.' Razz]

I finally started to re-watch the Wallflower the other day. Actually, I've already finished it, and I forgot how funny this anime is. I had an absolute blast re-visiting it. My younger brother also watched a few episodes with me here and there even though he isn't really an anime fan (at least not compared to me Razz), and also enjoyed it a lot!! Sunako is definately an awesome female lead, and one of my personal favourites when it comes to female characters.

I managed to knock down Aria, the Scarlet Ammo over the last two nights as well. So, I'm thinking to myself, "why all these male leads with some kind of special condition related to females??" while I'm laughing or enjoying the action put forth. And that is a good question, isn't it? But, said question not withstanding, I had fun watching all the craziness this anime offers. Like one of the ANN reviewers said (something along the lines of), who won't have a blast with an anime that has that many guns in it (statement isn't in context though) Anime hyper Oh, and I just read that there might be a second season on the way depending on DVD and BluRay sales. But I'm sure it will be one of those that can't transit between season one and two without messing it up.

Finally, I started C3 after I finished watching Aria last night. I only watched two episodes before I decided it was time for sleep, but it seems like it will only get more and more interesting. I got hit with a two by four when they spoiler[revealed that Konoha Muramasa is actually a cursed tool as well.] I didn't see that one coming at all, even though they hinted at it earlier in the second episode. Looking forward to continuing it tonight, because I get to see what Fear is capable of now Smile
Sebow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I was actually planning to watch Fate/Zero, but felt I needed some more energy to watch that, so I instead decided on Ben-To, I've always been of the opinion that when it comes to films, TV series etc. subject matter is less important than execution (If you break down a lot of anime you'll see the concept is painstakingly simple, but that because of the execution and direction of the concept, it can turn out to be something great).

And that's why my first impression of Ben-To is actually quite good, I have to admire its courage to take a concept that is, seriously, so incredibly stupid (to be honest), and try to execute it, now I'm only on episode 2, and I can already sense that this is probably gonna turn out way less cool and way more mundane than I'm probably hoping.

However right now Ben-To is just perfect for me: I'm slightly tired, and I need to watch something non-profound and silly.
wanderlustking

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I just don't know what to think about Revolutionary Girl Utena. Six episodes in, and the plot is an incoherent mess; and yet here I am, getting ready to watch episode seven.
Tris8

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Started watching Eureka Seven today. I've know about this show for awhile, and have actually been waiting to start it for just the right time to come. From ratings, summaries and reviews I was convinced this would become a favorite of mine (the adventure of it, character designs, colors... it all seemed right up my alley) so I wanted to save it for when I had plenty of time to watch it and was in the right mood to maximize enjoyment. So now I've actually started it and have seen up to ep 6 and am disappointed.

Firstly it hasn't explained itself well at all. Who the Gekkostate are and most importantly what goals they have are a mystery. It seems they're not with the military (of that planet, country? dunno), but they go out of their way not to tangle with them. They do get in fights with them, but I have no idea what the beef is between the two. This is extremely frustrating, because I can tell I could really like this show if it actually explained why certain things were going on. And the setting. It says almost nothing about that except that Renton's original home is in the middle of nowhere. I really hope this show gets better, explains the situation and the world they're in.
An1fr3ak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:22 am Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
Started watching Eureka Seven today. I've know about this show for awhile, and have actually been waiting to start it for just the right time to come. From ratings, summaries and reviews I was convinced this would become a favorite of mine (the adventure of it, character designs, colors... it all seemed right up my alley) so I wanted to save it for when I had plenty of time to watch it and was in the right mood to maximize enjoyment. So now I've actually started it and have seen up to ep 6 and am disappointed.

Firstly it hasn't explained itself well at all. Who the Gekkostate are and most importantly what goals they have are a mystery. It seems they're not with the military (of that planet, country? dunno), but they go out of their way not to tangle with them. They do get in fights with them, but I have no idea what the beef is between the two. This is extremely frustrating, because I can tell I could really like this show if it actually explained why certain things were going on. And the setting. It says almost nothing about that except that Renton's original home is in the middle of nowhere. I really hope this show gets better, explains the situation and the world they're in.

If I remember correctly... they take their sweet arse time explaining many things. Overall, it ended up doing a good job in my opinion, but sometimes, it will get quite tedious. I think the only thing I can recommend or suggest is for you to be PATIENT. Well, in any case, good luck my friend. Enjoy Razz
Tris8

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:30 am Reply with quote
An1fr3ak wrote:
If I remember correctly... they take their sweet arse time explaining many things. Overall, it ended up doing a good job in my opinion, but sometimes, it will get quite tedious. I think the only thing I can recommend or suggest is for you to be PATIENT. Well, in any case, good luck my friend. Enjoy Razz
Lol. Well, that's all I really wanted to know. Knowing that it will, in time, tell me what the heck is going on is enough to keep me going for now.
Amitch91

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:43 am Reply with quote
I am watching Evangelion 1.0 You are (Not) Alone because i am a huge Evangelion fan ever since the series first aired in 1996 so i was very young when i first saw it and i am extremely looking forward to 3.0 You can (Not) Redo Very Happy
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:31 am Reply with quote
wanderlustking wrote:
I just don't know what to think about Revolutionary Girl Utena. Six episodes in, and the plot is an incoherent mess; and yet here I am, getting ready to watch episode seven.

It doesn't get easier to understand if that's what you were hoping for in the plot department. I found it a bit odd all the way through, getting quite messy towards the end somehow...
Smile
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:39 am Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
An1fr3ak wrote:
Lol. Well, that's all I really wanted to know. Knowing that it will, in time, tell me what the heck is going on is enough to keep me going for now.

You are definitely going to have a long wait for any real explanations. You don't get those until a little over halfway through the series. So if you are going to enjoy Eureka Seven you need to relax and enjoy the setting and the characters and their development until the explanations and the main plot arrive.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 640 of 1062