• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Instead of spending all day on the Internet, I decided to catch up on some series I've been meaning to finish or finally watch. Still got one or two more I plan to watch tonight, but that will be for after dinner.

First, I finally finished Princess Tutu, having been watching it in the mornings before work for the last two weeks. This was such an amazing series, and I hadn't found a single moment I didn't like (well, other than trying to get the discs out of the case without breaking them; stupid stackpaks...). I'm very glad I bought this series, despite only seeing the first three episodes or so before I did.

Second, thanks to my brother's constant insistence, I watched the first seven episodes of Toradora!. Despite what others will say, I actually found the series to be more boring than entertaining. Granted, it was only the first seven episodes, but instead of being entranced by them, I found myself more annoyed by it. Maybe because I'm not into moe/tsundere series, or a fan of Rie Kugimiya outside of her role as Alphonse, or because several of the characters actually irritated me...not too sure, but I just couldn't get into the series.

And finally, after four years of it being on my shelf, I watched The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. I'm actually sad that I never got around to watching this years ago; it was such an amusing film, and I'm so glad I blind-bought it. The ending disappointed me a bit, mainly because it wasn't the tear-jerker that I thought it would be or as satisfying as I was led to believe by people who have recommended the movie to me, but it was still excellent either way. In some ways, it leads me to believe that a sequel could be made, but I find that incredibly unlikely. Although, on its own, it's just fine the way it is as well.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:20 pm Reply with quote
So I just watched Redline. Believe the hype, this thing is so f*cking awesome! I'm pretty sure my eyes are bleeding and my brain is melted, but it was totally worth it. I don't know what to say except for awesome music, awesome characters (JP is so badass!), and animation that will f*ck you up, in a good way. I know Zac's review said the dub was kind of weak, but I thought it was great! Definitely watch the dub if you want to focus all your attention on the crazy shit going down onscreen. Watch on bluray for that extra eye candy! Shocked Just. So. Awesome.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:28 pm Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
So I just watched Redline. Believe the hype, this thing is so f*cking awesome! I'm pretty sure my eyes are bleeding and my brain is melted, but it was totally worth it. I don't know what to say except for awesome music, awesome characters (JP is so badass!), and animation that will f*ck you up, in a good way. I know Zac's review said the dub was kind of weak, but I thought it was great! Definitely watch the dub if you want to focus all your attention on the crazy shit going down onscreen. Watch on bluray for that extra eye candy! Shocked Just. So. Awesome.
I'm on the fence about whether to watch Redline or not. I usually don't suffer from hype aversion, except when the hype comes from sources like Zac, Colonydrop (via Tim Maughan), Mike Toole, and Anime World Order. And in this case, that's where a lot of the hype comes from.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:06 am Reply with quote
So I managed to pull myself away from my Nana re-watch (on ep 27/47) long enough to finish a few shows on AOD...
I think I love Nana more every time I see it. Even though I know what will happen next, I find myself straining within to see it play out...and I still get tears in my eyes the very first time Nana stands on a table in their apartment for their first Tokyo live performance...for an audience of one. My ONLY wish is that there was more development and care take over Shin and his story, and to a lesser degree Reira as well. Besides that though, I love the wide range of characters all fleshed out well, the care taken in letting us in on their private thoughts so often, the beauty of it all, the amazing music...gah, I LOVE NANA! <3

I finished Croisee in a Foreign Labyrinth, which I started loving immediately...it felt so much like Aria in tone, which I loved, and felt that way through most of the short 12 ep show. Unfortunately that last episode...it felt all wrong somehow to me. I guess from the strong start, I was hoping for stellar, which I can't quite say it was...although it was mostly enjoyable. Yune comes from Japan to live in Paris in the late 1800's and is charming! Her learning about the different customs and culture and her benefactors learning about hers was enchanting to watch. Somehow, occasionally the interactions between her and Claude were sometimes suspect (perhaps only in my mind) and it was hard to decipher the exact thoughts between them, but that could have been me adding subtext that wasn't there. Regardless, the last episode in particular felt very different in tone in a lot of ways, like 'here is a bunch of past thrown into this to add unneeded drama.' End. I think this could have left that drama out and stayed on the charming learning for another half season and been better for it. C'est la Vie, I am still happy to have seen it I guess.

I also finished No.6. This was a decent little show with more subtext that actual BL in it, but if you like that sort of thing (which I do) you'll like this. Outside of THAT though, this show was still a pretty interestingly put together sci fi. Polished looking and fun to watch. I liked the way the two main characters met, Shion, from a utopian city, and Nezumi, from the discarded dystopian outer wasteland. This is also another one where the end felt a wee bit rushed to me, I wish there was more depth to the Nezumi characters background, but it still stands fine on it's own. Watching the struggle between the worlds, and the conflict it brings the citizens not being able to question what is going on, and Shion who has mostly willingly left it was interesting. I enjoyed it.
Tris8

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:02 am Reply with quote
Finished Eureka Seven earlier today. Great show, tho all the way to the end, it keeps its best and most detrimental card active; it never tells you anything straight. Really liked it though. I found my self very drawn to Anemone's character, and found her very interesting. I would have liked it if they had focused a little more on her and dove into her motivations for piloting theEnd (tho I can guess). I loved Eureka's and Renton's relationship. Even though Renton takes on the role of cheering Eureka up and keeping her going when times get tough, it's clear that they support each other. They are equals, both flawed but worthy of the other's respect and affection.

Now I'm watching Eureka Seven the movie. And they made Dominic ten years older and Renton's teacher? And WTF Nirvash is a Farie??? O_o And writing quality has certainly gone down; the amount of times Renton says "Eureka" and Eureka says "Renton" is comparable to Inuyasha levels. >_< This movie....... is very different than the series. Also, they made Dominic look like Dracula XD That black cape and collar, that white complexion....
My biggest complaint is how they changed Eureka's character. They made her much more cutesy and turned her into a damsel in distress. Sure, Eureka was saved by Renton quite a few times in the series, but she was a capable pilot, knew how to handle a gun and was very independent. In the movie she's pretty helpless.
Not to mention the changes in the Gekko-Go crew. But I liked the parallels between spoiler[the version of the world in the movie and the version of the world in the series. I liked how they were connected, as it said in the end of the series, there is more than one way for those events to go down.] I've always really liked alternate retellings and being able to see how a character can go down a very different path when certain events are changed.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I am in similar viewing situations with two comparable shows: four or five episodes away from finishing each of Hana Yori Dango and Honey and Clover II.
I'm thinking "comparable" because each is a shojo romance-fest, yet my feelings on nearing their respective ends are very different. (I haven't read either manga, by the way.)
While there are things I have really enjoyed about Honey and Clover (specifically, the way that the relationships have so much momentum that it's very hard for anything interpersonal to change is unusually realistic, I think), I can't say that I have ever cared about any of the characters. Honestly, if spoiler[Hagu-chan were to give up on life after her accident and kill herself,] I would reach for another chocolate biscuit and wonder if it wasn't time I started getting ready for bed. If, on the other hand, Tsukushi gets ripped off in the conclusion of Hana Yori Dango, I will be very very annoyed.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:49 pm Reply with quote
I too had things about Honey and Clover I despised, but I was quite satisfied with the ending given.

So after Garden of Sinners, I decided to trend a little lighter....

Revolutionary Girl Utena: My first time through the series. Very entertaining, and eye opening. Just about every episode has a new visual or something clever. My one gripe was I totally could have done without the Black Rose saga. My interest started to wane about halfway through it. Apocalypse Saga made up for it though, building to a wonderful finish. Thankfully the reused animation sequences were so well done and fit the story enough that I never got tired of them, though I could see how others would get fed up with them. I certainly will revisit this series. (I had previously seen the movie, so I did not include it in this watch).

Surveying my huge backlog, I decided on Our Home's Fox Deity on a whim. A very nice and well put together series in my opinion, though it did appear they were in total stretch mode on episodes 12 - 24. It seems the door was left wide open for additional seasons, and I am interested in seeing more events from this world. A few annoying cliches (female friend of major character who just cant tell him how she feels, misunderstandings, etc.), but overall you can do a lot worse. The artbooks on the sets are really nice.
All NISA sets are autobuys for me. The double depth Ikea shelf (I think it is called BILLY) holds the sets very nicely.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:04 am Reply with quote
ailblentyn wrote:
While there are things I have really enjoyed about Honey and Clover (specifically, the way that the relationships have so much momentum that it's very hard for anything interpersonal to change is unusually realistic, I think), I can't say that I have ever cared about any of the characters. Honestly, if spoiler[Hagu-chan were to give up on life after her accident and kill herself,] I would reach for another chocolate biscuit and wonder if it wasn't time I started getting ready for bed. If, on the other hand, Tsukushi gets ripped off in the conclusion of Hana Yori Dango, I will be very very annoyed.

I pretty much started into Honey and Clover not finding any good reason why so many people had hped it up so much it seemed, and it slowly sucked me into liking watching it, but you are right, it was hard to really care about any of the characters, and specifically the one you named for me, I had quite a bit of ill feelings about that character...

Boys over Flowers however was one I still kick myself about not having bought when I had the chance a few years ago for a decent price at RightStuff christmas/new year sale...
I loved that show, I cared deeply about what was going on, and pretty fast into the show too, it didn't take very long to get over the ugly designs for me, I didn't love the way it was animated much, but the show was so good and unexpected in so many ways, I was completely wrapped up in it! I wish I had a chance to see it again...
DieHardBleachFan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:17 am Reply with quote
Well, since I recently bought the entire series, I'm giving Fighting Spirit a re-watch.

I had first seen it about three years ago after I randomly added it to my Netflix queue and wasn't real sure I'd like it because, well, how can an anime about boxing be interesting? Boy was I wrong! I ended up loving it!

It's just as good as I remember. The characters are all very fun and there's plenty of humor mixed in. I'm about to start episode 6 and am enjoying the heck out of it.

I also finished Bleach Fade to Black a while ago. This was my favorite of the movies that have been released this far. While it may not have been very deep or complex, I thought the plot was really interesting.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:28 am Reply with quote
Well, we finished K-ON! last night. Fabulous indeed. Gimped release but still (got all four for ~$60ish)...let's hope the !! makes it's way to us. Kinda gettin' tired of being assraped by Japanese prices.

Blue Exorcist volume two is up next. I originally anticipated CANCELLING my order due to how horribly lossy it looks, but it shipped out before I could get it done.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:06 am Reply with quote
Today I'm in the mood for a short marathon, so I'll finally get down to Aria the Animation. I wrote somewhere else I only have a very small backlog, and this is something I've been meaning to watch for a long, long time. My only reservation is that if I watch it and end up enjoying it, I'll immediately want to watch the other two series (it was two more, right?). This wouldn't be an issue if I watched Gosick instead, more backlog fodder. Hrm. Decisions, decisions.

By the by, has anyone been watching the film series Towa no Quon? I remember reading this article way back when, but I've not been able to find much (good) critical analysis of it. Am I to assume all 6 movies have been screened now? Is it worth seeking out?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:10 am Reply with quote
Nurse Witch Komugi. Why? Well, I recently finished watching the super-serious and sombre The SoulTaker and I saw that NWK was listed as a spin-off which seemed pretty incongruous. Which it is. NWK is a goofy, fanservice-y magical girl parody which you can enjoy without having ever seen a frame of The SoulTaker, but if you have seen SoulTaker, then NWK has a whole other layer of awesomeness as you watch the same characters in a radically different situation. NWK has some of the same dub cast as well. Only in anime, folks!
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:19 am Reply with quote
dirkusbirkus wrote:
Today I'm in the mood for a short marathon, so I'll finally get down to Aria the Animation. I wrote somewhere else I only have a very small backlog, and this is something I've been meaning to watch for a long, long time. My only reservation is that if I watch it and end up enjoying it, I'll immediately want to watch the other two series (it was two more, right?)...

Two more plus an OVA that comes with the 3rd season. The second season is twice as along and sold in two separate collections, so the whole thing is equivalent to four thirteen episode seasons.

Biggest thing is, though, Aria gets better with each season. So, if you like Aria the Animation, then you just have to see the rest!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
supercreep

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:12 pm Reply with quote
After watching the first two episodes of Bakemonogatari I simply cannot believe that it is not licensed here. It has got to be one of the most, if not THE MOST, stunningly beautiful series I have ever seen. What gives?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:34 pm Reply with quote
supercreep wrote:
After watching the first two episodes of Bakemonogatari I simply cannot believe that it is not licensed here. It has got to be one of the most, if not THE MOST, stunningly beautiful series I have ever seen. What gives?

Yep, join the queue. The most popular theory for Bake's non-appearance is the assumption that the rights-holder is asking a bomb for the R1 license; to the point that no R1 distrib would be able to make money on it. My own theory is that Aniplex is simply waiting until the most evil moment possible before announcing that they will be selling it for $100,000 per half-episode (and the deed to your firstborn).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 643 of 1062