• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga Character Guessing Game

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Showsni

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Having obtained the moderators' blessings:

If anyone's played the Anime Character Guessing Game, you should know what to expect here. The main difference, as you've no doubt worked out, is that this time we're using manga pictures rather than anime. Without further ado, I present:

The Rules.

1. The current player posts a picture of a character, and everyone else may then guess whom that character is. The posted picture should be large enough to be recognisable, and not altered in any way other than cropping (which will probably be necessary), resizing and possibly blanking out text that might give it away.

2. Pictures should be taken from mangas only (no anime pictures). Use common sense when picking a character - a random background character with no name would clearly not be a suitable choice.

3. Anyone may try to guess the current picture (unless it's your picture, of course), but you only get one guess per picture, so use it wisely! Guesses must include the character's name and the name of the manga, and should be made in the thread. Please place your guess in a spoiler tag - [spoiler]Your guess here.[/spoiler] gives spoiler[Your guess here.].

4. The current player may post clues to help people out. These should be in text form only, and should be placed in spoiler tags so that anyone who doesn't want to use them doesn't have to.

5. The current player is the only one who may say if guesses are correct or not, which they should do by posting in the thread. When they acknowledge someone's correct guess, that person takes over the game and posts a picture of their own. They may also choose not to post a picture, in which case anyone may take over the game and post a new picture.

6. If a picture hasn't been correctly identified within 48 hours of being posted, anyone may take over the game and post a new picture. If a guess hasn't been declared as right or wrong by the player within 24 hours of being posted, anyone may take over the game and post a new picture.

7. A correct guess gives you one point. Scores will be tallied up by myself. Please PM me if you have any concerns, queries, etc.

8. Please stay on topic.

Minigame Rules.

1. If there is no main game currently in play, anyone may start a minigame. This occurs when a correct guess has been acknowledged, but the guesser hasn't yet posted a picture.

2. A minigame picture shouldn't be of a character; please use your discretion. For example, a picture of an important item or memorable scene would be appropriate.

3. Guesses for minigames follow the main game rules, but when a minigame is correctly guessed anyone may post the next minigame picture except for the person who posted the last one.

4. All minigames are ended when the main game starts again. The answer may be revealed by the poster if they wish at that time.

5. No points are awarded for minigames.

To start us off: who is this?

dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Answer: spoiler[Kaolla Su, Love Hina.]

Dang with this thread I can hand out lots of characters that I bet most forum users have never seen before. Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Showsni

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:57 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Answer: spoiler[Kaolla Su, Love Hina.]

That is correct!
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:
That is correct!

Thanks! Now before I dish out my pic for the next question, I'd like to know how obscure can a picture be? Being the 2nd question in a new thread I don't want to scare people off. Twisted Evil

Easy: licensed in US and well-known
Medium: licensed but not very popular, or frequently discussed but not yet licensed
Hard: neither licensed in US nor well-known
Extra-hard: never been discussed at ANN; only weirdos (like me) would read
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Showsni

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:35 pm Reply with quote
It would probably slow the game down if every picture was ultra hard, but judging by the anime game people seem to generally post a good spread anyway. There aren't any points for stumping people, after all. So it's probably alright for some harder pictures as well as easier ones. In general, you probably shouldn't post a picture you're certain no one has a hope of getting, though.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, still no one after 24 hours? Anime catgrin + sweatdrop Here's my picture:

Shouldn't be too hard, for the title has been discussed on ANN for quite a while.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:45 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Inoue Meiko from Solanin]
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I think we should try to keep the majority of images from series that are licensed or frequently discussed. Not all of them have to be, but I don't see the point in sitting around stumping people who aren't able to read Japanese and don't follow scanlations.
Mylene

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:
2. Pictures should be taken from manga only (no anime pictures). Use common sense when picking a character - a random background character with no name would clearly not be a suitable choice.

Would this include official images from such manga-related materials as art books?
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Another question, this is strictly circumstantial but since there are some manga out there that do include cameo appearances of characters from past works but in later works would naming the correct character but different series be considered a wrong answer? (e.g: an obscure image of Mokona from Magic Knight Rayearth but someone taking a guess that its Mokona from Reservoir Chronicle Tsubasa).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Showsni

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I think we'll stick to just manga. For characters appearing in multiple mangas, you probably should get the manga the picture's from.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:44 pm Reply with quote
I think it'd be best to just avoid cameo images; the purpose of the game isn't to trip people up on technicalities, and since manga typically has fewer contextual hints, it's not as obvious as it might be in an anime.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:46 am Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
spoiler[Inoue Meiko from Solanin]

Correct.

marie-antoinette wrote:
I think we should try to keep the majority of images from series that are licensed or frequently discussed.

It's kind of ironic that your avatar is from a famous (classic-level) title that has not yet been licensed in US. Razz
Aylinn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:15 am Reply with quote
This one should be fairly easy

marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:35 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
It's kind of ironic that your avatar is from a famous (classic-level) title that has not yet been licensed in US. Razz

Razz I think it might fit in the frequently discussed category, at least. As far as unlicensed titles go, Rose of Versailles is hardly that obscure (there is a reason I know about its existence!).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 97