• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Negima continuation??

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anigema

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I haven't started reading the Negima manga series, but I'm definately planning on it. After the earthquake in Japan, do you think we won't be seeing new content from Ken for a while now? How about the tv series based off of the manga series? (not Negima!?) Any thoughts on Ken's books or which ones were better?

Please don't reveal spoilers, I only started watching the series today and I still have to buy the books.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure a new chapter came out just came out within the past week (assuming the scanlators have been up to date previously).

Regarding the anime (Xebec's version), and trying to refrain from inflecting my opinion on it, the show primarily deals with the harem-comedy antics of the first couple volumes, with the major plot arcs be shortened considerably. The ending of the series is original to the anime, and not bad as such things go, but is irreconcilable with manga canon by roughly volume 12 (maybe a little sooner), although that isn't inherently a bad thing.

I've read Love Hina, and Negima is superior in art quality (heck going back to the early volumes after reading the latest stuff even shows a noticeable improvement in quality), and has far less of the irritating indecisive hot-and-cold relationship between the leads passed off as plot. I haven't read AI Love You, partly because the art there wasn't even as good as Love Hina's, so I don't know how that compares story-wise.

Negima has a much more clearly established plot than Akamatsu's previous works and is more of an action-adventure story than harem rom-com (although there is still plenty of that present, and loads of ecchi). Lots of people have trouble keeping track of the massive cast of characters, but most of them do get a good bit of development (with presumably more to come) and if you make the effort, it's pretty easy to remember who's who (although in the anime they're all pretty flat stereotypes and cliches).
anigema

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:58 am Reply with quote
Is it a good thing that series ended so early on? Yes, I also checked borders.com and it looks like another book,volume, chapters is coming out in May or June. I looked at the wiki page and there a lot more releases at the bottom for chapters, is it possible those will be released in America some time soon? Was it a good thing that the anime show ended around volume 12? Honestly, I wish it would keep going on...it is such a good series. Do the books contain as much ecchi as the show, because that always makes me laugh the hardest. I can't wait till I go out and by the some of the series.

Who decided to end the anime series so early on? Even if they don't get all the episodes in, I think they were doing a good job to begin with; and they should've kept going.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:05 pm Reply with quote
The show didn't end early, it was only scheduled to run 26 episodes. Also, I think you misunderstood when I mentioned that the manga was irreconcilable by volume 12: that's not the material the anime covered up to (the anime covered roughly the first 6 volumes, and one chapter from volume 9 or 10, then created its own ending), its that the explanation it provided for Asuna's magic cancel ability was vastly different from what the manga version, and the manga first introduced that reason in volume 12.

Personally, I think it's good that it didn't run longer because it was proceeding in a different direction than the manga and would have required some really awkward corrections to keep the plot in line. The anime was operating under the assumption that the series was primarily a harem comedy, and so ignored several major plot developments that were crucial to the ongoing story. Also, the art and animation was pretty horrible.

A new volume of the manga comes out roughly every three months, and I believe the US release is about a year behind the Japanese version. The manga is more ecchi than the anime, I'd dare say, but it's also frequently more serious.

There were a couple of limited edition manga in Japan that came with special OAD episodes covering parts of volume 19-23 incredibly faithfully, but being as they were limited editions, we'll probably never see them legally in the US.
anigema

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:48 am Reply with quote
Oh, so since the anime was running a different course, it would've been much harder to continue running it, with the difference in the manga. Yes, I do believe that some manga's are alot better than the shows, but I still can't get out to the book store to get the first 6 or 7 volumes. Once I go out, I'll get them and hopefully they will keep my attention, because I just love the show and manga, lol. In the manga series, what did happen to asuna, I know she dies in the tv series and Negi wants to bring her back to life, I know it will kill the suspense, but did she come back to life?
anigema

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Another thing: It has been confirmed that a Negima movie is going to be made or an ova...it is supposed to finish off the magical arc volume...does that mean that ken will not finish off the actual manga series? Or he's just making the movie to gain some extra revenue?
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I've seen no indication that Akamatsu intends to stop in the middle of the story. I recall comments that he intended to have the manga cover 1 year of time in story. Negi arrived in Mahora in early spring, the current events are at the end of summer break. The pacing doesn't seem to indicate he's rushing things to tie up the loose ends, so barring an unexpected accident, it will likely continue for quite some time more.

The movie will likely be a straight adaptation of a section of the manga (I'd guess the conclusion of the Magic World arc, which the manga is finishing up now), but I don't think there's much more than speculation available at the moment.
anigema

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:59 am Reply with quote
Oh ok, I've been having trouble with the time and such, I never heard about the full year either. I guess that is a good idea, I wish it would be longer, lol. What is he going to do after the magical arc though? It seems like it is the longest and most in depth one so far...Is he just doing the movie to bring in some extra revenue and do another ova since the tv series ended a while ago?
Blaquaza

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Can I just say, where can you find the Manga where the students are Kindergarten students and Negi is a teenager?

Now, onto my opinion of Negima.

Personally, it's genius. I love the fact that it slowly builds up suspense and releases it in one huge magical battle. I also love the fact that the story always has plot twists and turns. Lastly, I also love how none of the goodguys use very cheap techniques to win the battles that they face.

Also, please try not to spoil anything to me. I've read up to chapter 276 and watched both animé series. I love Negima and people who hate it must be insane.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Blaquaza wrote:
Can I just say, where can you find the Manga where the students are Kindergarten students and Negi is a teenager?

I'd assume in whichever volume it falls in? I'm guessing more avid followers of the series might be know which speicific one. Del Rey/Kodansha's pretty close to the japanese release from my understanding, so it's probably out in english already, or been solicited for release [thinking about checking out the omnibus release they're launching for earlier volumes- this really makes sense to do with long series like that].
anigema

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow Blaq, I'm no where near as far as you in reading the manga. I still need my mom to order some books for me since I can't get them in the store. So I still haven't finished book 3 because I'm waiting for 5-10 to be ordered tomorrow, lol. Honestly I can't tell you where to look for those kinds of books, I only know of Negima. How was the Negima!? series, I know it is completely different from the manga, but did it hold its own? Yes, Del Rey and Kodansha really do get the translations down pat. They even translate the sound effects and everything, they are very good publishers. What do you guys think of the upcoming movie and the arc after the magical world??
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Blaquaza wrote:

Nani? Oh, wait. Took me a second to remember that this actually happened (because that's not exactly the situation spoiler[as they use magic pills to alter the appearance of their age, it's not some weird time-paradox spin-off]). It's at various points from volume 21 (chapter 193) to volume 30 or so. Most of it is in volume 22, although spoiler[Chisame uses her chibi form quite frequently afterwards, and Chachamaru and Chisame do to a lesser extent, as well. Negi and Kotarou age up for all of the tournament fights, too, but generally go back to normal otherwise.]
imderekyup

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:32 pm Reply with quote
No, he is talking about Negiho (Ito) Bun, which is a weird little spin off by another author.
anigema

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:49 am Reply with quote
Wow that is so cool. Why does Negi have to age up? Is there some sort of age requirement? lol, Or do people not want to fight a child? (Negi) Is this all apart of the magical arc? What kind of spell is it? This series is awesome! I can't wait for the arc after the magical world!!!!!!!!! =D
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:49 pm Reply with quote
anigema wrote:
Wow that is so cool. Why does Negi have to age up? Is there some sort of age requirement? lol, Or do people not want to fight a child? (Negi) Is this all apart of the magical arc? What kind of spell is it? This series is awesome! I can't wait for the arc after the magical world!!!!!!!!! =D

Actually, I forgot that it first shows up in the MahoraFest arc because there's a minimum age for the fighting tournament (which is also when Chisame first turns into Chibisame and actually uses it to her benefit as a net idol), but then the tournament rules change before it starts and they don't use it for that. Although it does get used during MahoraFest for another purpose that leads to complications that become important in the Magical World arc.

Although, I did kind of initially assume the comment referred to a doujin before remembering the magic age changing pills.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2